Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday Question...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If someone could help me with this question...

How quick could a train get from London to Brighton if it didnt have to stop at any stations.

I know this sounds a bit GCSE Maths but it would settle an argument.

or if you cant help answer that, post a question you want answering.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
It would not get there. Signalling problems at East Croydon.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
At a guess I'd say about 30 minutes as most trains can go about 110mph. It currently takes around 50 minutes so remove the slowing down and speeding up to stop at dumps like Three Bridges and Croydon and remove the actual time stopped in said dumps and I'd say around 30 minutes if not a bit less.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
If there were no other trains running on the line at the time, that would slow it down at any point. 30 mins would be my guess?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

How quick could a train get from London to Brighton if it didnt have to stop at any stations.

How fast does it go?

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not wishing to be pedantic, but when you say not stopping at any stations do you mean Brighton too since if it does not have to slow down then this will affect the time taken to get to Brighton Station?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not wishing to be pedantic, but when you say not stopping at any stations do you mean Brighton too since if it does not have to slow down then this will affect the time taken to get to Brighton Station?

They are going for the record and just steam into the platform.

basically I dont know how quick a southern train can go, I assume its something like 90 mph on those tracks?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
basically I dont know how quick a southern train can go, I assume its something like 90 mph on those tracks?

In some cases it will be the track that has speed restrictions / limits, e.g. curves and over points, plus gradients too.
Not always the speed of the train will be the limiting factor/.

Do we not have a train driver on our forum?

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Depends whether it's travelling north/south or south/north. It's downhill from Vicky to BN which explains the time differential plus ad hoc gypsy encampments at Croydon. If the driver really 'goes for it' and closes his window to reduce air resistance, under 4 minutes and 30 seconds. In good time to take advantage of the 15% pre match discount on your pie and pint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here