Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Telephone re-connection conundrum

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A friend is moving from a shared house in to a rented single occupancy flat and was wanting to get broadband installed. the previous tenant had taken the phone/number. I have been trying to help out by checking deals online but with every attempt I tried with Talk Talk and Tesco Broadband the checking service either could not find the address or could not find a telephone line to use.

So, they phoned BT and explained the situation and said that they could restore the phone line and supply high quality broadband for an initial £17.99 a month rising after 12 months on an 18 month contract. So, taking the easy option they signed up for it. The conundrum is that they have until the the 7th Oct ( when it is activated ) to change their mind or be locked in to the contract for 18 months.But at the point of the line being activated we could then get a better offer via Talk Talk/ Tesco but can't do the preliminary checks online.

This is fast becoming a chicken/egg nightmare, any suggestions ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A friend is moving from a shared house in to a rented single occupancy flat and was wanting to get broadband installed. the previous tenant had taken the phone/number. I have been trying to help out by checking deals online but with every attempt I tried with Talk Talk and Tesco Broadband the checking service either could not find the address or could not find a telephone line to use.

So, they phoned BT and explained the situation and said that they could restore the phone line and supply high quality broadband for an initial £17.99 a month rising after 12 months on an 18 month contract. So, taking the easy option they signed up for it. The conundrum is that they have until the the 7th Oct ( when it is activated ) to change their mind or be locked in to the contract for 18 months.But at the point of the line being activated we could then get a better offer via Talk Talk/ Tesco but can't do the preliminary checks online.

This is fast becoming a chicken/egg nightmare, any suggestions ?

Go for the egg, I would. Chicken is fine but to be honest I tire of it really.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Unfortunately I think BT have them by the short and curlies here. They are the only ones who can reconnect the line as you say, they generally won't do that unless you sign up with them.

I had this with my previous house, we had BT for 12 months then switched to Sky. Pain in the arse though!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
get BT to re-install the phone line then deal with the ADSL. might be another week of two until activated. on the other hand, its down the same pipe so just go with BT, assuming the "rising after 12 months" isnt alot more (or rather than its competitive with other offerings).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had this issue when I moved into my place, I signed up to the Post Office who don't have a minimum contract length (at least they didn't 3 years ago) and they are able to connect your phone. I used them for a month then switched over. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Go for the egg, I would. Chicken is fine but to be honest I tire of it really.

I'm assuming you are being undercut by Poles and part time Firemen as we speak ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm assuming you are being undercut by Poles and part time Firemen as we speak ?

Strangely enough putting some Poles work right up at the headquarters last night. Very well paid work as well, I love them. To date no sign of firemen though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
How does a contract work like that in a rented property?

Lets say BT demand 18 month contract for b/b, but after a year in the rented property, you move out.
Are you still liable for the remaining 6 months of BT service [in a property you now no longer live in]?

I know for other utilities [gas / electric] the provision passes over to the next dweller.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here