Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£550m well spent. Kings Cross

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Yet to see it, but Doncaster away is only weeks away. St Pancras is a beautiful place to start an away day. The Betjemen bar at 9.00, drink in hand before heading north. Kings Cross an absolute disgrace for so many years but did wander through recently trying to work out why it took so long. The interior just stunning. The outside is looking fantastic apparently. Meet at Kings Cross is no longer a swear word or a place you have to say 'no change mate sorry' whilst waiting for friends from Sussex. £55 billion to save 20 minutes to Birmingham? I suggest cancelling and upgrade Euston. Then the last vestige of the football special from a god forsaken run down station can finally be put to bed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you have to wonder exactly what cost £550m, these sorts of projects are far too expensive. they've done alot to the underground station, but still.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Yet to see it, but Doncaster away is only weeks away. St Pancras is a beautiful place to start an away day. The Betjemen bar at 9.00, drink in hand before heading north. Kings Cross an absolute disgrace for so many years but did wander through recently trying to work out why it took so long. The interior just stunning. The outside is looking fantastic apparently. Meet at Kings Cross is no longer a swear word or a place you have to say 'no change mate sorry' whilst waiting for friends from Sussex. £55 billion to save 20 minutes to Birmingham? I suggest cancelling and upgrade Euston. Then the last vestige of the football special from a god forsaken run down station can finally be put to bed.

I believe part of that cost is upgrading Euston.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Really don't know what's going on with HS2. The idea to shoot people at the speed of light to somewhere vaguely near the suburbs of the city so they can then get a 20 mph bus to the centre just seems idiotic. And don't tell me the tickets will be affordable. They won't.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Really don't know what's going on with HS2. The idea to shoot people at the speed of light to somewhere vaguely near the suburbs of the city so they can then get a 20 mph bus to the centre just seems idiotic. And don't tell me the tickets will be affordable. They won't.
I think the reasoning is that it will then free up more space on the 'traditional' lines which are very crowded.

Whilst I do think 55bn could probably be spent on other projects I've got nothing against HS2 per se, just that it's in the wrong place. It should be between London and Brighton!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

It's been reported that if they do not go through with HS2 they will have to spend vast amounts of money upgrading the WCML in the next 10 years to cope with demand, ok it won't be 55 billion but the money spent will just be a stop gap until they're forced to do it all over again within the next 30 years. Freight is also getting heavier on the WCML, just having that route wont be viable over the next 50 years.

The figure for HS2 is actually 42 billion. The 80 billion recently quoted was just a number plucked out the air by the Institute of Economic Affairs, who briefed the media on it and then hours later it was being reported as fact.

The 42 billion has been earmarked for HS2 only, there is no certainty what so ever that this money would be made available for incremental schemes on the existing infrastructure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In 1970 I had a pub next door to Kings Cross along Pancras Rd and at that time most were was raving about the new Euston station but saying much the same was it worth the money that it cost.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree. I am not the biggest fan of UK rail but credit where it is due, St Pancras and Kings Cross are beautiful buildings. The roof of St Pancras is stunning.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
St Pancras and Kings Cross are fantastic stations now. I'm looking forward to them finishing London Bridge (in 2018 :ohmy: )

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Through work I saw the plans for the new Google HQ and other buildings on the Kings Cross estate - it's going to be a fantastic place when finished.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Phase 2 of HS2 which won't be finished until 2032 is the spur through the East Midlands up to Leeds where a bit further on near York it will join up with ECML. Sheffield City Council have announced that they will close the Don Valley Stadium as it is unsustainable. Demolishing it now will save millions as eventually it will have to be demolished to make way for the upgrade through to a much expanded Meadowhall (probably to be renamed with Sheffield in the name)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here