Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London marathon roll call

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
Got my acceptance letter today I'm 4 stone overweight and the furthest I have ever run is 10k but I intend to train hard and succeed. Anyone else had the letter?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Got Marathon News through this morning. Sadly (yeah, right!) I've been rejected.

I ran in 2009 - the hardest event I've ever done. Put the miles in and you'll get round. 1 long run a week (up to at least 20 miles), building distance by no more than 10% a week and the hardest bit - actually going out and doing the running. The weight will drop as you become a runner.

It might be worth getting an entry in for Tunbridge Wells Half (in February) and a December 10k to keep you on-track and to make the whole thing a bit less daunting.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I've done (and yes, finished) Brighton twice. Entered London twice but unsuccessfully. Would love to have a go but realistically the only route is via a charity place, most of which ask you to raise at least £3k.

It ain't happening.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Edna , I ran for the Army Benevolent Fund two years ago and only had to raise £1500
They still have places open if you want to contact them
Loads of info from them before the marathon and massages etc and food and drink afterwards at the nearby barracks
Can't recommend them highly enough

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Edna , I ran for the Army Benevolent Fund two years ago and only had to raise £1500
They still have places open if you want to contact them
Loads of info from them before the marathon and massages etc and food and drink afterwards at the nearby barracks
Can't recommend them highly enough

Similarly, I ran on behalf of the martlets hospice last year and had to raise £1500. The whole experience was amazing, will deffo repeat it in the future, best of luck hk!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Got Marathon News through this morning. Sadly (yeah, right!) I've been rejected.

I ran in 2009 - the hardest event I've ever done. Put the miles in and you'll get round. 1 long run a week (up to at least 20 miles), building distance by no more than 10% a week and the hardest bit - actually going out and doing the running. The weight will drop as you become a runner.

It might be worth getting an entry in for Tunbridge Wells Half (in February) and a December 10k to keep you on-track and to make the whole thing a bit less daunting.

Good advice!

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Yes, 3rd London Marathon in a row (1st through ballot)

Always do the Brighton Half in February.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Got my acceptance letter today I'm 4 stone overweight and the furthest I have ever run is 10k but I intend to train hard and succeed. Anyone else had the letter?

Had my sorry rejection this morning :(

Good luck HK. Follow the official running thread and good people like Chimneys above will help you, did me.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing

Any other halfs in February time nearer Worthing? I'm doing my first Marathon at Brighton in April and it'd be a good target... if not I'll set myself a date, plot a route and just go for it :)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Any other halfs in February time nearer Worthing? I'm doing my first Marathon at Brighton in April and it'd be a good target... if not I'll set myself a date, plot a route and just go for it :)

Brighton on 16th Feb, but only charity places available now!

Otherwise Richmond half on 23rd Feb.

Tunbridge Wells not exactly far (albeit just checked and next year its Sunday 2nd March at 9am) and still plenty of time to recover for your marathon!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here