Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long can you hold your BREATH for ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Slow day at work, so using the stopwatch on my phone I thought I'd see how long I could hold my breath for. I've had a few goes, and my best so far is 1min 19s. I think I was on course to beat that in my last go, as I'd gone well past 1m and was still feeling pretty comfortable, but then someone came over and talked to me (I had to disguise my rather excessive exhalation as a sigh, but as it was regarding something tedious, I think I pulled it off rather well and largely got away with it).

Interestingly, I do better when I DON'T breathe in too much air at the start, as it makes me feel overly full, and the discomfort starts much earlier than if I've left a bit of room in my lungs. This knowledge could be crucial if I ever have to swim through a submerged pipe to escape a flooding room, so if nothing else, I feel this has been far from a waste of time. OK I could do it in my own time, but frankly, I have bigger fish to fry.

Anyway, how long can YOU hold your breath for ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I watched a prog about those static line divers when I was about 17. They showed how they prep for holding their breath. Some can hold theirs for ages. Anyway, they spend about ten mins breathing deeply and staying very calm and still to flood the blood cells with oxygen and then take a last, quite shallow breath and off they go. I tried it and held my breath for only about 2 mins 30. I doubt I could even do that nowadays.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Without being big headed, this is actually something I know I'm good at (for once).

I used to swim competetively and we used to (at the age of 14) swim 2 and a half lengths under water as a little challenge between us. Basically 75 metres or well over a minute whilst also swimming(exercise would obviouslky decrease the amount time holding your breath). Being asthmatic it probably wasn't the most sensible idea.

I'll try now and let you know how I get on.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The World Record is 22 minutes 22 seconds UNDER WATER!!

So, go and stick your face in the company bog and report back. :D

That's a hard one to believe.
I'm getting better now I've got a 10m x 4.5m pool that is 2.2m at the deep end, will try this when summer comes.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
1 minute 52. I had to warn the woman opposite as to what I was doing as I know that the last 30 seconds of holding the breath is me releasing it slowly and making a PISTON noise.

I'll re-attempt that in 10 mins.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
For the length of The Culfail tunnel, but not at rush hour when you queue in there for 30 mins.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Glad to see my 1m 19s was respectable, I'll have another go later. I don't smoke, although I used to be asthmatic.

I hope this doesn't get TOO competative though. I don't want to be sat here with a head like a tomato, eyes bulging, whilst thumping the desk repeatedly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here