Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fancy dress fascists. Offensive Halloween costumes...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tesco and Asda withdraw "Psycho Ward" and Mental Patient costumes after complaints. As far as I can see the names of the costumes describe exactly what they are. I wonder if Psychotic patients are really that concerned? It clearly isn't making out that all mental patients are axe wielding murderers is it? Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24278768

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Maybe they could also do a rape victim outfit. Take a leaf out of Geoffrey Bloom's book and do a Bongo Bongo Land outfit complete with bone through nose. Just a bit of fun innit. Doesn't make out all darkies look like they've just stepped off the bleedin' banana boat.

Or a bit closer to home - Brighton Marina Asda Woman outfit complete with grim pyjamas, tattoos, pink furry slippers. Only available in sizes 16 and above.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Best Halloween costume I've seen is bloke dressed in a white full-length robe, all covered in (fake) blood, carrying a club with a large nail through it, and a placard round his neck with Club Seal written on it :ohmy: Geddit?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
'Mental health patient' and 'psychiatric ward in-patient' are the PC names ....silly Asda.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Shouldn't laugh but just had an image of some of the costumes Buzzer mentioned plus the psycho ones all turning up on your doorstep on Halloween. I'd shit myself!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's not about being offended. It's to do with stigmatising mental illness and those who suffer from it.

Mad bloke, looks scary, knife in hand, blood everywhere - let's call him "Mental Patient".

Why?

Because he looks like one.

Really?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Best Halloween costume I've seen is bloke dressed in a white full-length robe, all covered in (fake) blood, carrying a club with a large nail through it, and a placard round his neck with Club Seal written on it :ohmy: Geddit?

Ha! Best one I wore but cannot take credit for as it was a mates idea was me with a huge piece of cardboard taped in front of me to look like a door and a hole splintered into the card with my head poking through as Jack Nicholson from The Shining. Had to take the door off after about 10 mins at the party though, not the most practical to wear all night.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's not about being offended. It's to do with stigmatising mental illness and those who suffer from it.

Mad bloke, looks scary, knife in hand, blood everywhere - let's call him "Mental Patient".

Why?

Really?

I do agree to a point but my point is, who is getting offended at this? I may well be wrong but I've only heard a couple of members of the public and a health care worker getting offended.

Edit: To add, these costumes are clearly exaggerated, cartoon like characters more akin to something from a film rather than a depiction of someone with mental health problems.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Why?

Really?
:thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I do agree to a point but my point is, who is getting offended at this? I may well be wrong but I've only heard a couple of members of the public and a health care worker getting offended.

But why should it offend anybody?

It could have been sold under a different name for example 'slasher movie villain', and nobody would have batted an eyelid. I think this is a case of buyers/marketeers at both Tesco and Asda not really thinking things through properly.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Why call for the costumes to be removed though? The issue is with the names used. They should be "Axe Murderer" and "Cannibal Prisoner". Surely action groups representing the media interests of these two segments of society are going to go ... "ok, fair enough, we probably asked for it!"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But why should it offend anybody?

It could have been sold under a different name for example 'slasher movie villain', and nobody would have batted an eyelid. I think this is a case of buyers/marketeers at both Tesco and Asda not really thinking things through properly.

That I do agree with.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Maybe they could also do a rape victim outfit. Take a leaf out of Geoffrey Bloom's book and do a Bongo Bongo Land outfit complete with bone through nose. Just a bit of fun innit. Doesn't make out all darkies look like they've just stepped off the bleedin' banana boat.

Or a bit closer to home - Brighton Marina Asda Woman outfit complete with grim pyjamas, tattoos, pink furry slippers. Only available in sizes 16 and above.

Or Asda Hollingbury woman: missing teeth, a tag, pack of smart price nappies, and 4 pack of wkd. Only available in Age 9-12

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here