Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Neither positively or negatively

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know, I know, another Poyet thread.

Just noticed a lot of polarised discussion on Gus over the last few days and am interested to see how Brighton fans will remember him and his spell here.

I suspect his reputation here may improve over time, but I genuinely find it hard to fathom the vitriol some supporters seem to direct at him.

Anyone particularly bored, I did attempt a summary of this argument on my blog yesterday HERE

Last edited:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I think I will look back and remember him as a good manager, no more no less. I don't buy into this idea that he was the main reason for the rise in profile of this club... that honour goes to Tony Bloom.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can't look beyond him being an absolute disrespectful arse at the moment.

Can't deny management wise league one winners and first season at the Amex up there with best ever.
Play off season was good but he under performed and should of got that side top 2 .

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I think I will look back and remember him as a good manager, no more no less. I don't buy into this idea that he was the main reason for the rise in profile of this club... that honour goes to Tony Bloom.

Just a good manager? He took a team from the bottom of league 1 to win the league by a month. He was able to use his contacts and played in a way which saw us bring in players like Vicente and Bridge. That's not just a good manager. Yes he couldn't have done it without Bloom but I doubt we would have been promoted and bought in players of Vicente's and Bridge's calibre if it wasn't for Gus.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Can't look beyond him being an absolute disrespectful arse at the moment.

Can't deny management wise league one winners and first season at the Amex up there with best ever.
Play off season was good but he under performed and should of got that side top 2 .

I must have missed something. Can you please explain how he is in any way being disrespectful at the moment?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
What option should I choose for 'Did a great job for us and really helped to turn this club around but in the end thought he was much better than he actually was and allowed his ego to sour the memories'?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A lot depends for me on whether he takes us to court or not - particularly if he is spiteful enough to do so after getting another job.

There is no doubt the first 2.5 years can be remembered with happiness. Wish now he had left when Wolves started sniffing around him.

Sadly, Project Poyet cost us the playoff semi final in my eyes, but time will heal that disappointment and let down.

Last edited:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Yep just a good manager, too many times last year he was found out tactically.

A good manager that was privileged to over see a great passage in the clubs history.He played great football under Him but ultimately it was the Gus Poyet show every time a mike was handed to Him.
Showed no respect to the club in the final stages of His time here,I imagine if He could He would spend most of His spare time blowing smoke up His own arse.
Good luck at blunderland Gus ,you're gonna need it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A quality manager who, in his first job let's remember, guided a team from near the bottom of league One to the top end of the Championship playing some lovely football, so much so that Brighton became a team KNOWN for it's style.

I remember him stating Adam El Abd was the best defender at the club and people LAUGHING. Who would have thought he could turn him into a defender willing to bring the ball out of defence comfortably? Crazy to think.

Gutted how it ended, but will always be grateful. Left us quite a nice present in Ulloa as well.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I will always remember the league 1 winning season and first Amex season with great fondness towards Gus, but the ending has somewhat soured my feelings towards him - in particular asking to leave in march and that interview after playoff second leg. If he pursues a court case then I guess I will like him just a little bit less.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Personally, I will look back fondly. Can't begin to know what went on at the end behind the scenes so think it is unfair to judge any side on it too much.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He was a great appointment who helped take us beyond the next level (bottom of League 1, champions, 4th in the Championship), so I vote fondly. I can't see the point in seeing him in any other light.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yawn ....
He did a good job mostly, but was found out tactically by the smarter opposition.
I think when he gets to the promised land he will be exposed for his tactical ineptness.
Time will tell.

As for the court case, we'll all just to have to wait and see - I hate all this speculation bo11ock$

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
A lot depends for me on whether he takes us to court or not - particularly if he is spiteful enough to do so after getting another job.

Project Poyet cost us the playoff semi final in my eyes, but time will heal that disappointment and let down.

This sums it up for me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Likewise... he took us as far as he was capable of taking us (which was a long and exciting journey) and am looking forward to going on the next journey with Oscar.

I'd suggest it was like an early girlfriend (not first love). It was fun and we had some great times, but ultimately, she wasn't the one and it ended quite messily - I think she still has a load of my records but I'm not contacting her to get them back!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here