Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malaria prevention... help please

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Going to North East islands in Indonesia and have read they are a Malarial hotspot. I've reached a ripe old age without ever having to take anti-malaria preventatives but now I must and I'm worried about after effects. I've read horror stories about Larium for example. Any experiences and advice from fellow NSChatters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Going to North East islands in Indonesia and have read they are a Malarial hotspot. I've reached a ripe old age without ever having to take anti-malaria preventatives but now I must and I'm worried about after effects. I've read horror stories about Larium for example. Any experiences and advice from fellow NSChatters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Different parts of the world require different anti malarials so research which one is best for that zone. I have taken them for years and all round the world. The worst was palludrin (?) but that was just a bit wacky dreams. There are some excellent ones as well (mallarine/mallarone?) which is taken only a few days before and after.

Don't worry and wiki and your GP is your friend.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Ps do take them I have countless stories of people getting malaria including one with cerebral malaria(?) and he was in a coma for months. Id have a few nightmares for that anyday.
Thanks Sergei. I know I have to take them because anti-mozzie gear does not work with me. I must be extra tasty cos I'm always the one that is covered in bites

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Best advice is talk to a doctor who's an expert in tropical diseases.

I took paludrine/chloroquine on the NE islands of Sulawesi, Ternate and Tidore, but that was some years ago, so you'd need to know whether they've developed resitansce since then. Can't speak for Irian Jaya - never been there.

I've taken Larium elsewhere with no effect, but whether it will affect you largely depends on your susceptibility to depressive disorders. If you're prone to depression you will be more at risk, and I've seen friends get really screwed up by it. But of course, most people don't know until it's too late. Talk to a doctor and they should give you a small-scale dose as a test to see whether there are any side effects before taking a regular pill.

Taken Malarone elsewhere with no effects, so that might work there as well.

I know they have the plasmodium falciparum malaria strain in eastern Indonesia (as well as the more common but less deadly plasmodium vivax), and that's something you really don't want to catch. I spoke to an Indonesian doctor in Timor who told me if you get infected without taking prophylactics, you basically have a 50-50 chance. If the parasite swims down your body to less vital organs you might get away with it. If it swims up to your brain, goodnight.

Don't wing it unprotected.

Like I said though, that's all amateurish guff from me, a tourist.

Talks to a doctor for some real sound tips.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Do you know which ones you're supposed to be taking, if you fill out the online MASTA form they will tell you.

I've had Paludrin and Doxycycline in the past and never had a problem with either. I have heard though, that the side effects of Lariam can be bad and that you shouldn't take it if you've had any kind of depression in the past.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

I went to Zimbabwe recently and took Larium (one tablet a week) 2 weeks before going and 2 weeks after coming back. No side effects whatsoever. As stated above there may be issues if you're suffering from depression or have mental issues. The travel nurse at your local health centre will be able to advise accordingly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whatever you do it's essential you take SOMETHING. I visit Uganda once, sometimes twice a year. I usually take Mallarone, and have never encountered any side effects. One thing that is for sure, malaria isn't to be trifled with.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Whatever you do it's essential you take SOMETHING. I visit Uganda once, sometimes twice a year. I usually take Mallarone, and have never encountered any side effects. One thing that is for sure, malaria isn't to be trifled with.

You wouldn't be visiting Al's Bar in Kansanga by any chance???

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
HORROR STORY ALERT

My Niece went out to Uganda [near the Nile iirc] last year for 6 months voluntary work , came back ok but didn't get her blood tested , and ended up in the Conquest Hospital in Hasting on a life support machine for weeks afterwards - she's still not back to full strength after a year ...

Moral of the story --- be cautious even back in Blighty

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
HORROR STORY ALERT

My Niece went out to Uganda [near the Nile iirc] last year for 6 months voluntary work , came back ok but didn't get her blood tested , and ended up in the Conquest Hospital in Hasting on a life support machine for weeks afterwards - she's still not back to full strength after a year ...

Moral of the story --- be cautious even back in Blighty

Malaria, or something else?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

What part?
I was in the north earlier this year on voluntary work - Arua, Gulu & Lira.
Kampala on the was back was utter mental on traffic ...

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Go on the Gov website and check up on whats best for where you are going. I remember many years ago whilst serving in the Middle East I was due to go to Kenya. Palludrin was the medicine of choice then. I asked the doctor what were the symptoms of malaria, his reply was take the pills correctly and you won't need to know the symptoms.

NutterDave

Jan 19, 2012
Used Malarone in Africa and South America. No side effects, worked a treat. Know friends who've used Larium and felt rough for ages.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Thanks Sergei. I know I have to take them because anti-mozzie gear does not work with me. I must be extra tasty cos I'm always the one that is covered in bites

If I was extremely attractive to mosquitoes I'd probably stay away from malarial hotspots.

Bognors very nice at this time of year.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Caught Malaria in Hong Kong....spent two weeks in hospital...dosed up with Quinine (1958) there are different types of malaria..the variety I caught was the type which about every four years you get a 24 hour attack of it....then it goes. Best advice is what previous posters have put....see your GP before you go...

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
I used malarone when in uganda, tanzania and zambia this year. Absolutely no side effects. People i was with were either on larium (crazy dreams but otherwise ok) and doxy ( very sensitive to sunburn). Also take repellant but make sure it is stuff with 50% deet, anything lower and you might as well not bother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here