Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Good Cider/Perry/Scrumpy Guide

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I know there are a few enthusiasts on here, so I thought we could pool our knowledge...

Decided to treat myself to a couple of bottles of The Garden Cider , a Surrey cider (4.5%) and have been most disappointed. The second bottle will be used for cooking. 5.3

Pig Orchard, a delightful and refreshing beverage. Picked up 12 for £12 from Majestic as the boxes were faulty. Another light cider, but very likeable indeed. 7.8

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Are you looking for obscurities or just stuff that people like?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Never really drunk cider before although when I did when I was younger it made me feel sick. However I have suddenly taken to it, not keen on bulmersNd magners but did enjoy a cold pint or two of sommersby this summer. Very refreshing

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I do like a drop of Orchard Pig, like you say BOF a nice refreshing cider.
I am currently hooked on Thatchers Katy, really enjoy the crispness and at 7.4% it's a decent drop.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I do like a nice cider from time to time - whilst in Cornwall I enjoyed some very nice Cornish Rattler, amongst others.

Other than that my trusty standby is Weston's Vintage :thumbsup: And I've been a fan of Merrydown since growing up in Cornwall, when it was the drink of choice to take on the beach for the day.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This is a repeat of what I said on the Craft Beer Thread, but is now more relevant thanks to this being a cider thread: Gospel Green is very nice indeed. Trying to buy a case of 12, no response by email from the producers, will possibly annoy them by ringing them up - i'm sure they've got bigger fish to fry - but I need that cider! Otherwise, Portslade Wild Beast - sounds unlikely, but tastes great. Middle Farm is the place, as Vegster says.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Another Thatchers fan here.
If i want refreshing its Gold.
If i want a strong one its Katy.
Gradually getting through the range, vintage, cox etc all nice.
Trouble is once i get hooked i dont experiment with other brands, which i should like Westons and Aspalls, I am sure they are nice.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
Thatchers Old Rosie, but goes down to easy and @ 7.3 got to take it easy.
Merrydown dry is my fave and has been for years, cant see myself giving this one up.
From the tin is Scrumpy Jack.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm 34 years old now, when I was 15 I drank 3 litres of Merrydown in 30 mins!

Only last year I was able to drink a mouthful for the first time. And now I like it.

My favourite is the Westons original at a mere 8.2% (available in all major supermarkets). The cloudy cider they do called Old Rosie is fantastic for a flat cloudy scrumpy tasting brew that measures up at a measly 7.5%ish.

Middle Farm is the place to go, there is normally near on 80 or so varieties to try straight from the barrel FOC. Find one you like, grab a recycled milk carton size of your choice, fill it up, take it home and drink until drunk.

God I love drinking smaller breweries stuff and trying different brews.

Just realised my signature says a lot about me....

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
We went for a meal at the Red Lion in Ashington recently. I fancied a cider rather than a beer and to my delight they had Aspall's as well as Strongbow. Actually it was seeing it on the bar that made me fancy it. It slipped down a treat. Perryhill Farm at Hartfield has a good selection, but you will need a car to get there.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Charles Dickens pub in Worthing do eight or so great ciders (or they did last Friday), I had Old Rosie, one called Pheasant Plucker and another one at 8.5%, after which I bottled it and went to the safe option of Stowford Press.

I'm another Cornish Rattler fan, having drunk it at a pub in Exeter last year.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Of the supermarket available ciders, Tesco and Coop seemingly have continual offers on 3for2 or 3 for £5. They stock the likes of Westons Vintage, which is nice, or Apsalls Organic and Premier Cru, which is lovely but strong. They also do Stowford in cans which is great to have a 4 pack of 4 in the fridge

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
I am currently having my last pint of this tonite, medium-dry Crumpton Oaks Farmhouse 5% not to harsh.
crumpton_oaks_2.5_4_L.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here