Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all plumbers, calling all plumbers...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a once every 30 seconds or so drip coming through the ceiling, from the bathroom above.

So far I've taken the u-bends off from the sink and bath, they both minged but are clean and clear now.

The plumbing up to the sink tap is dry, the bath seems to be the same but harder to get at.

All I can see is a tiny drip forming from the bottom of the bath u-bend.
Thinking I hadn't screwed it back in place enough last night, I tried again and noticed the bit of the bath it goes into also turned, is that normal?

Anyhoo that's tightened up and a cloth is under the u-bend.
So far the drip downstairs is still, well, dripping.

Where else should I be looking, even though everything else seems to be tiled into place.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Take the u bend off the bath, remove the plug hole bit. Clean it up and refit with a bit of mastic between the plug hole flange and the bath.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take the u bend off the bath, remove the plug hole bit. Clean it up and refit with a bit of mastic between the plug hole flange and the bath.
I take mastic is the stuff more commonly known in Stat towers as, sticks like shit.
If that were the case and I knew what a flange was, I reckon I could do that job.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Surely he needs to make sure Mrs Stat is out of the bath. I cant see how sticking her and the bath together is going to help. very odd.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I take mastic is the stuff more commonly known in Stat towers as, sticks like shit.
If that were the case and I knew what a flange was, I reckon I could do that job.

Stick like shit is Gripfix, this is not waterproof.
You need sillicone sealant

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Unless you have dripping taps, there is only so much water in a catchpot, so after an hour or two the drip though your ceiling should stop. Unless of course its something else.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You need to undo the bath waste and overflow(plug hole) clean and dry the fittings, put silicone sealant onto the bath around the waste hole and on the washer that fits under the waste hole.
Refit the bath waste and overflow, allow silicone to dry before running any water.

Have you checked the toilet?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unless you have dripping taps, there is only so much water in a catchpot, so after an hour or two the drip though your ceiling should stop. Unless of course its something else.
Beat me too it Unkie.

A couple of hours ago, I put an old towel under the bath u-band.
About an hour ago, I wiped round the bath (jnr needed a shower) put a flannel over the now plugged hole, with a pot just in case the tap is leaking.

The drip is still coming through.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You need to undo the bath waste and overflow(plug hole) clean and dry the fittings, put silicone sealant onto the bath around the waste hole and on the washer that fits under the waste hole.
Refit the bath waste and overflow, allow silicone to dry before running any water.

Have you checked the toilet?

Thanks and what about the toilet?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Beat me too it Unkie.

A couple of hours ago, I put an old towel under the bath u-band.
About an hour ago, I wiped round the bath (jnr needed a shower) put a flannel over the now plugged hole, with a pot just in case the tap is leaking.

The drip is still coming through.

Before you started taking apart the bath trap(u bend) and waste did you have a leak under the bath?

Is the sealant/ mastic ok around the bath? Try spraying the shower around the edge of the bath and behind the taps to see if it drips down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before you started taking apart the bath trap(u bend) and waste did you have a leak under the bath?
I don't think so, can't be sure now

Is the sealant/ mastic ok around the bath? Try spraying the shower around the edge of the bath and behind the taps to see if it drips down.
Ok I'll give it a go.

I think I've done remarkably well talking blokey, fixing stuff, (that isn't a bicycle) I've even pulled my shorts down so you can see the crack of my arse.
But now the sham is over and you can start calling me girls names, not to mention sticking another zero on the bill:-

How do you get the lid off one a cistern that's similar to this?, it won't just lift off.

ideal-standard-alto-close-coupled-cistern-e759301.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are there any other pipes that run that way, IE radiator pipes as water will always find the easiest escape route
The radiator is fine that's across the bathroom.

The water is coming out at the 'usual' place where I have had a couple of bath related floods in the past.
The bath and sink are above the area it's dripping from, the toilet and radiator are opposite.
(Toilet on the outside wall, the rad (that's what 'we' call them) is on the wall directly opposite).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ok I'll give it a go.

I think I've done remarkably well talking blokey, fixing stuff, (that isn't a bicycle) I've even pulled my shorts down so you can see the crack of my arse.
But now the sham is over and you can start calling me girls names, not to mention sticking another zero on the bill:-

How do you get the lid off one a cistern that's similar to this?, it won't just lift off.

View attachment 47240

Why do you want the lid off?
Look under the cistern

Look round the back of the toilet.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ok I'll give it a go.

View attachment 47240

It might be time to call a fireman (who has a second job as a plumber).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My cistern is like that and the top lifts off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here