Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP Caroline Lucas charged for protesting

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
So the CPS decide its in the public interest to charge Caroline Lucas! I'm not interested in her being arrested, i was more interested in her right to protest!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24271396

Former Green Party leader Caroline Lucas has been charged over a fracking protest at Balcombe.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the Brighton Pavilion MP faced one count under the Public Order Act and one of obstructing a highway.

It said it considered there was sufficient evidence and that it was in the public interest to prosecute.

Ms Lucas was among about 30 protesters arrested near where energy firm Cuadrilla had been drilling for oil.

She was filmed sitting in the road, alongside her son and a number of other protesters on 19 August.

'In public interest'
Ms Lucas was arrested and later released on bail.

Nigel Pilkington, a senior CPS lawyer, said: "After careful consideration, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and that it is in the public interest to prosecute Ms Lucas for breaching a police order on public assemblies and wilful obstruction of the highway."

Ms Lucas is due to appear at Crawley Magistrates' Court on 9 October.

She said in a statement: "Sussex Police have today confirmed I am being charged with two offences arising out of my arrest in Balcombe on August 19.

"I firmly believe in the right to peaceful protest and remain deeply concerned about the impact of fracking on climate change and the wider environment.

"I have been advised by my lawyer to make no further comment at this stage."

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I do not give a fig whether Caroline Lucas is charged or not;however I am not sure what will be achieved by it.
I do not agree with her politics but I am not convinced it is in the public interest for her to be charged.It may,however,be of interest to the public.
That is a different matter!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
She was charged for blocking a public highway and refused to move when asked....

So what. Big deal. I am pretty certain this will turn out to be a total and utter waste of time and tax payers money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do not give a fig whether Caroline Lucas is charged or not;however I am not sure what will be achieved by it.
I do not agree with her politics but I am not convinced it is in the public interest for her to be charged.It may,however,be of interest to the public.
That is a different matter!

This. Total waste of tax payer's money.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
So should all decisions to prosecute be based on how much it will cost to proceed ?
Once you start letting the balance sheet decide, justice is dead.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm quite glad they're charging her. Because of who she is this will all be played out in the media and will highlight how pathetic the police and CPS are sometimes, hopefully it'll get thrown out.

If it was just a normal person the OB would just make up some cock and bull story and someone would get a criminal record with very little right of reply. They probably would've thrown in some assault on a police officer charges just for good measure and a possible bit of compo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So should all decisions to prosecute be based on how much it will cost to proceed ?
Once you start letting the balance sheet decide, justice is dead.

???? What you on about? The UK already does. I think you will find cost is part of the public interest consideration.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't agree with CL on everything, but on energy people need to listen to her. Fracking is not the answer, renewables are the only sensible long term solution.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

We'll see I guess. The police & CPS had an opportunity to make this go away, they may well regret not doing so.

I have just looked up the public interest code for the CPS. I am struggling to see how this can be classed as being in the public interest. In my mind it fails almost every consideration. I hope they have to justify this, in my mind, crazy decision.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So what. Big deal. I am pretty certain this will turn out to be a total and utter waste of time and tax payers money.

I'm pretty sure if Joe Public went and sat down on the A27 - they would also be arrested and charged for a Public Order Offence.

Good to see MPs being treated equally to the public to be honest.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I have just looked up the public interest code for the CPS. I am struggling to see how this can be classed as being in the public interest. In my mind it fails almost every consideration. I hope they have to justify this, in my mind, crazy decision.

An MP breaking the law whether you think that law is right or not is in the public interest. She could have protested at the site but instead she breached the agreed order and blocked the highway.
She should be setting an example and getting her message across as 99% is mps would.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
An MP breaking the law whether you think that law is right or not is in the public interest. She could have protested at the site but instead she breached the agreed order and blocked the highway.
She should be setting an example and getting her message across as 99% is mps would.

I should imagine a fair few of your 99% are taking backhanders for asking parliamentary questions, or trying to influence decisions that will benefit the interests paying them. At least CL peacefully protested against something she believes in strongly, rather than just trying to amass filthy lucre

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I should imagine a fair few of your 99% are taking backhanders for asking parliamentary questions, or trying to influence decisions that will benefit the interests paying them. At least CL peacefully protested against something she believes in strongly, rather than just trying to amass filthy lucre

You clearly have a blinkered one sided view. MPs obviously have a bad rep and back handers etc are probably widespread. But an MP breaking the law with it captured on TV has to expect to be prosecuted. If you can't understand that then I'm afraid you have issues

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
???? What you on about? The UK already does. I think you will find cost is part of the public interest consideration.

Part of. Not the only consideration.
You sad it was a "waste of taxpayers money" which tends to imply that whatever the crime, the decision to prosecute should be based on how much it will cost.
The actual cost of prosecuting something like this is no different than the cost to prosecute a late night fight or shoplifting.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm pretty sure if Joe Public went and sat down on the A27 - they would also be arrested and charged for a Public Order Offence.

Good to see MPs being treated equally to the public to be honest.

strange how mr one eye hook hand was never arrested along with his supporters for sitting about on a road with the good old British bobby standing around watching

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here