Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kids football - Best 9-a-side formation?

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
What's you're view on the best set up? I've been thrown in at the deep end and due to unforseen circumstances (manager been banned for lumping a ref!), I've been left to manage a girl's U13 side. Anyone manage or coach this sort of age group? Any advice gratefully received :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd go for a 4-4-0 with an allocated sweeping defender and a false number 9.

Make sure the Trequartista is looking to find those pockets of space

Simple.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
What size pitch do they play on?

Do they have the ability to retain posession?

At a guess it's about 3/4 size. They can play some decent football. Defence is solid, good engines in midfield but they do struggle with a clinical striker

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
431 with wing backs , centre mid being a holding defensive mid. This way you end up with 2 strongest defenders in the middle at the back :)

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
3 4 1

left back, rb, and cb, the two full backs can tuck in and cover centre.
1 defendisive mid, 1 attacking mid, 2 wingers that act as full backs too.
1 mega collosal tough lump of a centre forward who holds it up.

:)

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
3 4 1

left back, rb, and cb, the two full backs can tuck in and cover centre.
1 defendisive mid, 1 attacking mid, 2 wingers that act as full backs too.
1 mega collosal tough lump of a centre forward who holds it up.

:)

I'm liking that.... she is a lump too at 5ft 8' and only 12!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Dont need full backs as kids go down the middle and cant cross so 3-3-2 or even 3-4-1 as they will all pile forward anyway.

You werent expecting discipline were you?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
1-0-7

All out ATTACK, with a covering sweeper.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Three of the girls represent the county so they have ability... not so sure about me though!! I played at a good level and have coached keepers but never managed a team.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Just like on football manager, you shouldn't go in with a set tactic in mind that you want to play. Try to find out what works best for your players and what positions they like to play in. That usually works for me.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
What's you're view on the best set up? I've been thrown in at the deep end and due to unforseen circumstances (manager been banned for lumping a ref!), I've been left to manage a girl's U13 side. Anyone manage or coach this sort of age group? Any advice gratefully received :thumbsup:

Ok - I'm a qualified coach and have played various formations over the last 6 years of coaching both boys and girls.

There is no "magic" formation that will win you games. However, you will know your team more than anyone else and soyour formations should be dependent on the girls, their level of ability and the team's ability as a unit.

I have seen teams play 9v9 with a back 4, 3 in midfield and 1 up top which works very well when you want to keep hold of the ball, providing that your fullbacks are intelligent and fast enough to overlap your midfielders. You can have a holding midfielder and two very attacking midfielders supporting the 1 up front and it will also be effective when you move to 11v11 and you want to play 4-3-3.

The standardand most balanced is, as most have mentioned the 3-3-2, which really is the 9v9 version of 4-4-2.

My biggest advice is...

- Select a formation which suits to your team's strengths (as I've mentioned above)
- Work on the formation in training using defence V Attack drills
- Most importantly don't give up on a formation if it doesn't work straight away....I've used 4-3-3 for most of my time as an 11-a-side coach but have tinkered with it depending on the players I have at my disposal.

Also if you need any help then contact Clare Nichols at the Sussex County FA. She is absolutely brilliant and is heavily involved in girls and women's football.

Good luck :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here