Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fifa 14

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
It's all going on for us gamers, gonna be an awkward situation. This weekend when I get clearance from HER that i can have a bash. I wonder what ill play fifa or GTA?!?!?

So who's getting it? I've preordered of amazon and its gonna cost me £35 and when I trade it in I'm gonna get 37 quid towards the ps4 version! :thumbsup:

Edit: who wants to make a pro club for playstation again?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Pre-ordered from Amazon too so will spend all of Friday evening on it before moving house the next day. I have my priorities right...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm holding out for it until Xmas(ish) when I plan to get a PS4

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm going to start how i always start a new game. Pick the team with the most money and go trasfer CRAZY.

Apparently the career mode is a LOT more in depth this year (I loved it anyway) and now you cant just bring up a list of the best players in the world and see their ranking based on overall rating. You have to send your scouts out and say what type of player you want, ie a ball winner etc. I think you pay for your scouts as well so they become really important in targetting the right players, especially when on a budget.

can't wait. Struggled with the demo on legendary so I'm glad it appears ot be a real challenge this year.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Downloaded the iOS version last night, New touch controls are pretty good. Have to pay £2.99 in app purchase for manager mode though which I probably will at some point.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I cannot justify purchasing a game that will, by arbitary stats differences, make Palace an actually superior team to Brighton. It is a false position that offends me and I shall not be buying it.

On a more serious note I can see literally not one thing that this game improves upon over Fifa 13 to warrant the exorbitant purchase, especially from proffessional swindlers, EA. I also think people who are buying it fall into the category of "a fool and his money."

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I cannot justify purchasing a game that will, by arbitary stats differences, make Palace an actually superior team to Brighton. It is a false position that offends me and I shall not be buying it.

On a more serious note I can see literally not one thing that this game improves upon over Fifa 13 to warrant the exorbitant purchase, especially from proffessional swindlers, EA. I also think people who are buying it fall into the category of "a fool and his money."

Have you played the demo?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If you look at all other games, they take years to develop, however the Fifa franchise is churned out year after year.

they could offer DLC for updated seasons, but really the game isnt going to change that much. much like football shirts fans will buy the new game because they 'NEED' the most up to date version, even when very little has changed.

for me it would be better if Fifa was overhauled every couple of years instead, obviously never going to happen though, the money spinner that Fifa has become.

Does anybody even try and compete these days? Pro Evo used to be the one. Serious game play. I guess they dont have a patch on Fifa these days though.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Although I like FIFA I must admit to not buying it every year. The last one I had was FIFA 12. So I may actually go out and purchase this new one.

Aug 21, 2011
Although I like FIFA I must admit to not buying it every year. The last one I had was FIFA 12. So I may actually go out and purchase this new one.

Same as me, FIFA 12 was the last one I had. I was actually thinking of getting FIFA 13 as I assume the price will drop when the new one is released. Is the gameplay on 14 much different compared to 13??

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes, it's shit. Hopefully people not buying the new game will make EA sit up and listen, however I doubt it because of all the 15-year-old fifaLADS :)tosser:) who will buy it regardless of lack of changes.

What did you find "shit" about it?

I really enjoyed it. Much slower build up play means passing is a necessity. Crossing has been slowed down which means the ball is not pinding all over the place. The attackers now make much better runs which also another reason to wait for the right opportunity when building up play. Also the strength of players has become a lot more noticeable and important ie I was BOSSING the midfield with Toure in the last game I played.

All in all, a LOT harder opponents (especially on legendary). All the reviews have been great so far so I can't wait to play it. Pretty much the only game I buy each year.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Much slower build up play means passing is a necessity. Crossing has been slowed down which means the ball is not pinding all over the place. The attackers now make much better runs which also another reason to wait for the right opportunity when building up play. Also the strength of players has become a lot more noticeable and important ie I was BOSSING the midfield with Toure in the last game I played.

Should be perfect when playing as Brighton with Ulloa - on FIFA 13 pace is too effective so a three-pronged attack of CMS, Buckley and KLL was the standard approach

Dec 29, 2011
What did you find "shit" about it?

I really enjoyed it. Much slower build up play means passing is a necessity. Crossing has been slowed down which means the ball is not pinding all over the place. The attackers now make much better runs which also another reason to wait for the right opportunity when building up play. Also the strength of players has become a lot more noticeable and important ie I was BOSSING the midfield with Toure in the last game I played.

All in all, a LOT harder opponents (especially on legendary). All the reviews have been great so far so I can't wait to play it. Pretty much the only game I buy each year.

'Keepers are still broken, choosing whether the hoof clear automatically or let you take control is broken, it usually makes the wrong decision, and when they do kick it automatically when they have a load of time, it usually finds the opposition striker who has a clear shot on an open goal.

Secondly the first touch is absolutely shocking. Much like Fifa 13, in Fifa 14 you can have a 75 rated player touch a ball which is drilled towards him absolutely perfectly, but when Puyol or (even sometimes) Xavi receive a pass on the floor there's a chance they touch it too far forward and the opposition get it. I can't remember seeing a Brighton player have a shit touch, yet apparently Barcelona players struggle to control a lot of simple passes. Game breaker.

Thirdly the tackling is flawed. Not much to say about it, it's just very inconsistent with the fouls it does or doesn't give.

The one thing I really liked about the demo of 14 is the agility, you can really skip round players if your agility is high, something not noticeable on previous Fifa games, hopefully it'll take away from people who just hoof it past defence to quick strikers (although quick players usually have high agility too, so maybe not).

All in all, I've grown tired of EA changing a few things each year, then charging another £35 - £40 for the pleasure of playing a game which will inevitably be buggy, and inevitably have a 'greater version' coming out in 12 months. I lost count of the amount of bugs in Fifa 13 in FUT and online. It's clear they get a few players to test the game for five - ten hours, realise nothing majorly is wrong and then release it.

Before you chalk this rant down to 'he's probably just a shit player' I've been in division 1 on the last 2 Fifa's and have played thousands of hours throughout the franchise. I've just learnt I don't have to talk this bullshit from large game developers who care not a jot about the customer, and if not purchasing the new edition sends even the smallest message, then I'm happy to do it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not much point buying it just yet as still have about 2-3 weeks worth of GTA to play I reckon.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
The game is good but takes a bit of adjusting too. Solly March and JFC are both quite good for us as well as Chicksen. It is definitely slower, had mate round last night and I struggled a bit with the slow build up.

To be honest, I buy Fifa games every year, I like playing them and if your a fan of the series you will tell a difference between this and 13!

Career mode is a little frustrating as you cannot see the ratings of any player so you do have to scout them, this adds more time into it, no quick wins!! The albion start off with £4 million though which is good.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
'Keepers are still broken, choosing whether the hoof clear automatically or let you take control is broken, it usually makes the wrong decision, and when they do kick it automatically when they have a load of time, it usually finds the opposition striker who has a clear shot on an open goal.

I normally manage to select the goalkeeper fine, alternatively press the select button and you will get full control of the keeper.

Regarding the issue about the better players miscontrolling it, I must be honest in that I've never seen that. You certainly have to take more control with all players and think ahead to which direction you want to receive the ball and which direction you want to aim your first touch.

I love that I have to really THINK when playing it now. I'm constantly looking for runs and trying to think 3 or 4 passes ahead. Before I could pretty much get it out to my winger and know Ill get a cross in.

As I said before, Legendary mode genuinely felt challenging whereas before it's been pretty simple to negotiate.

But, at the end of the day it's all opinions INNIT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here