Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC , Don't upset the terrorists

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't condone what the militants / terrorists / attackers ( call them what you like ) have done at all BUT the journalist that wrote that story is hardly unbiased is he now ?

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
There seems to be a problem with the link?
I was expecting 'news' but just got some kind of right-wing nut job propaganda bullshit
Could you provide a link to a credible source of news, which provides actual evidence about what guidance BBC is issuing? Then we can have a discussion.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I was expecting 'news' but just got some kind of right-wing nut job propaganda bullshit
Could you provide a link to a credible source of news, which provides actual evidence about what guidance BBC is issuing? Then we can have a discussion.

Exactly this. Linking to that tripe without an NSFW warning should be a bannable offence - I have now accessed a right-wing hate site from work as a result of the OP basically disguising what he was linking to. Cheers for that, OP. Dick.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
BBC reporter on the 24hr news feed earlier this morning interviewing a couple outside the Westgate shopping mail revered to the attackers as terrorists and quickly retracted the word by saying if we are allowed to call them that . It is obvious that their staff have been told not to call the attackers terrorists but militants why ?

What is the difference to this tragic event and the one in Norway where it was OK to call the attacker a terrorist ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19366000

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If they were called terrorists instead of Islamic Militants, the same people would be kicking up a fuss about how they don't refer to their religion

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
If they were called terrorists instead of Islamic Militants, the same people would be kicking up a fuss about how they don't refer to their religion

But why refer to their Religion at all . I don't recall the need to call IRA terrorists , Catholic militants .

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Personally i call them deranged, pathetic little t wats instead of terrorists

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012

Thanks, yes, that's better. I am not a Torygraph reader, but I do accept it as a valid source of news, albeit with a bias I happen not to share (and with the pinch of salt applied to anything and everything in the media that i don't have personal knowledge of).
On the story itself, I dunno. I am a big supporter of the BBC but it would seem strange to me if, in this case, they had been told not to use the word terrorist and I'd be interested to hear why. I do think the word has been horribly misused, often for political reasons (eg the repeated reference by the US military in their media briefings to anyone that fought against them during the initial invasion of Iraq as 'terrorists'). But in this case it is about as close to the dictionary definition as you can get. I'd call them a lot of other things as well.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It must be some sinister left-wing plot, in order to help turn the UK into a Islamic caliphate...
Couldnt really give a shit what they call the twunts tbh.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Listening to 5 live, they've just referred to a terrorist attack by islamic militants, which seems a fair enough description.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
:thumbsup:
edit: I note a furhter source has been provided, so fair enough on that, although I have to say I feel the same way as JetSetJimbo about the original link - a 'NSFW' next time please.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I find the term terrorist or Islamic millitant both wrong

They both mean people who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.

What political aims ? it all seems to be religious to me ? correct me if I am wrong.

If they whoever are claiming they have committed these crimes in the name of a Jihad which we know means "struggle" or sometimes in extremes "Holy war against those who do not believe in Islamic God. Then seeing as they are picking targets such as a shopping mall in the last attack where there are no shall we say enemies with weapons as such to defend themselves they are clearly and should be referred to as بشكل جبان (Cowardly)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Think its more about revenge over Kenyan troops operating in Somalia and helping kick Al Shabab about.
They have the same mindset as IRA who would leave a pipe bomb by the Palace pier rather than at an army
barracks, or territorial barracks in their 'struggle'.
Having said that, whilst the Somalian govt has control of Mogadishu...with help from Kenyan forces, and African
Unity troops, Shabab hold large swathes of the rest of the country.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The reason Islam is causing so many problems all around the world is because it is political, Sharia, the Muslim Brotherhood, etc. The political aim is usually to have Islamic laws enforced in Islamic states - although this particular incident is not so much about that, it is political.

I do not wish to come over as being ignorant, but is it not the religion that dictates the politics ? therefore a religious war ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Think its more about revenge over Kenyan troops operating in Somalia and helping kick Al Shabab about.They have the same mindset as IRA who would leave a pipe bomb by the Palace pier rather than at an army
barracks, or territorial barracks in their 'struggle'.
Having said that, whilst the Somalian govt has control of Mogadishu...with help from Kenyan forces, and African
Unity troops, Shabab hold large swathes of the rest of the country.
Really, the only reason ? Why only kill non muslims then ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here