Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gustavo...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not really. Like a marriage towards the end it was an irretrievable breakdown. However he will want to do things his way without interference thats a certainty and i understand at sunderland there are a few people jostling for power.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Many in Sunderland are wrong if that's what they think.

The main difference is Gus managed to throw away, in two games, years of fabulous work whereas Di Canio didn't even bother with the years of effort before throwing it all out the window.

The most astonishing thing is only one of these men has had a crack at managing in the prem and its not Poyet"

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Many in Sunderland are wrong if that's what they think.

The main difference is Gus managed to throw away, in two games, years of fabulous work whereas Di Canio didn't even bother with the years of effort before throwing it all out the window.

The most astonishing thing is only one of these men has had a crack at managing in the prem and its not Poyet"

Swindon under Di Canio were top & within 10 games of gaining the first back to back football league Titles since Us a decade ago, when the new owners threw him out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Poyet is not a PDC. However, he doesn't seem to be able to steer completely away from trouble, hence his poorly timed/judged opinions regarding Suarez. I think Poyet will do a good job at Sunderland if given the chance.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Look to Watford for your new manager. You know it makes sense.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The most inaccurate stuff on the Sunderland forums relates to poogate. Nothing to do with Poyet. He's very talented and far less of a dictator than PDC. He will be stubborn and try and do things his own way though, especially with the style of play.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Greetings NSC!

So is Mr Poyet cut from the cloth as Paolo Di Canio as many in Sunderland are saying?

That is my question. I would welcome the views of you fine ladies and gentlemen.

Poyet was a great league 1 manager no doubt. Moved into the championship and imo was massively found out at times tactically. This said he is a young manager still learning his trade. He was a hero to most Brighton fans as he took us up through the ranks and nearly to the premier league last season. He has a strong ethos and style of play which is possession football, some might say his sides over play too much in the wrong areas of the pitch. His right hand man is Mauricio Tanno who seems to be his confidant but in reality seems to be there to just agree with Poyet. I always felt from the moment we stepped into the Amex that it was always all about Poyet rather than the team (sound familiar) and that as long as he was in the lime light and doing ok a bigger club would be on the horizon for him. There's no doubt Poyet gets the "buy in" from the majority of the players and was genuinely liked behind the scenes but he is definitely a marmite sort of manager and had big fall outs with players on along the journey (especially Vicente) but there again what manager doesn't?

Although he spent in our eyes a lot on transfers he constantly set barriers up by saying that his budget was not enough and seemed to be ungrateful with what our chairman had given him financially which I'm sure you can imagine didn't go down to well with the fans. In retrospect Poyet got us up to the championship and has definitely raised the clubs profile which we are grateful for however he handled the lead up to the play offs very badly as he was interviewing for other jobs and basically sailing close to the wind way too often in the media. The final straw was after the defeat to rivals Palace he said on national TV that he felt he had "hit the ceiling" with the club (you can picture Di Canio doing something similar) and essentially this was like red rag to a bull in the eyes of our chairman who has ploughed over £100 mill into our club.

There's my take on the background and I need to be given some grace on the figures quoted but on a whole Poyet will definitely get SAFC side to gel and will be a good fit to get you playing attractive football but he has a tendency to allow his own ego get the better of him. However he is very stubborn tactically and consistently played a number of our players out of position to suite the style rather than play to the individuals strengths. He doesn't like playing with more than one forward and will often make reactive substitutions which were almost too predictable. Is he ready for the premier league? I think no but time will tell.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He was a great manager for us. If I were you I'd jump at the chance to have him. I think he will do well.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Poyet should do well for you and you'll enjoy watching "total possession football".

Two things though:

One - There won't be a plan B when you fall behind in a match.
Two - Hands off Bridcutt and Ulloa!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He was fantastic for us and I will forever be grateful for his part in changing the fortunes of our club. He had a massive impact on and off the.pitch.

That said there was very.little pressure and a great deal of patience. Interesting to see how he.deals with expectation of immediate success with you. I think he'll be a success but depends on how broken your club its at the moment - could be interesting!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On the field he did amazing things for our style of football. Not a risk taker and obsessed with his teams keeping the ball. I imagine he will make you hard to beat and you may get frustrated with how many passes it takes before you get to the oppositions penalty area. I guess as long as survival is the aim he has a good chance of pulling that off for you whilst playing attractive but mainly slow build up football. Bizarre team selections that may have you scratching your head on occasions.

The downside whilst here was his ego and his post match interviews did not always involve just talking about the game. He was unable to deflect questions about his ambition to manage Chelsea and Leeds but is certainly pretty charismatic. I imagine he may now rein in this part of his character, who knows.

A bit of a gamble but I'd think you may well like what you get, he has time to change your style and you'll probably have to patient before you see the best of him.

He was one of our best ever managers and produced the best football consistently of any Albion team I have seen. Sad end here, that doesn't reflect well on him or the board. We still have no idea what actually transpired to make it end like it did but can guess that it involved, budgets, ego and ambition with an inability to handle interviews with discretion. If he takes over he will want to make it the Gus Poyet show, be interesting to see how much influence and say off the pitch he will get with you. He pretty well had carte Blanche here initially and struggled with losing some of these powers when we moved from Withdean to the Amex. All of this is just my opinion, there is very little fact in it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If he keeps them up at the expense of Palace glasses will be raised both on Wearside and in Sussex.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The Gus Poyet show was great fun, good luck to you I say and if goes there you'll become a second team of mine :thumbsup:

ex-players Bennett, Dicker, Bridge spoke very highly of him as a man-manager so doesn't sound like a PDC Mk II

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Jeckyll and Hyde!

He was a good manager. One of our best and made some great signings.

He also made some very strange tactical decisions and very crap signings.

He was responsible for getting us so high in the league but again his tactics were to blame for losing important matches and ultimately for us losing out on promotion.

Is he the right man for you after PDC? I don't think he is as he is unable to adapt his tactics and can marginalise players in a similar way to your former Italian hot head.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He'll do well for you. I hope your players know how to pass the ball.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes he did well here but lets be honest we are more likely to win games under Oscar as he trusts the team to perform in a more attacking formation, If Poyet had had the balls to play two wingers in more than one game we would be in the Premier league this season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I grew frustrated at his style of football throughout last season. We had a talented set of players and saw glimpses of what they were capable of on occasions. More oftenthan not however, it was a very cautious defensive set up and we ended up drawing too many games we could/should have won, which cost us auto promotion.

Having said that, he's probably the ideal choice; he'll almost certainly keep Sunderland up playing this way.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great manager for us and his record cannot be denied, took a struggling team in League 1 and turned them round onto the brink of the Premiership.

Man management skills are generally very good and I think the only negative things to come out since he left are from players who weren't playing regularly (no surprise there).

However, his biggest downfall is his apparent inability to keep his mouth shut, particularly if he is not getting his own way and displays a keep complete lack of maturity from that respect. You can add to that stubbornness in changing tactics, when things are not going his way.

He is passionate, plays a nice if not slow build up style of football, where possession is everything and I'm sure would do a good job to Sunderland.

Other advice is:

If he wants funds players, give them to him, otherwise he'll bitch in the media.
Never 'boo' the team else 'he'll go and play golf'.
Don't be surprised if he quotes that he is ambitious and wants to manage Tottenham or Chelsea one day......... He might mention Leeds as well, which would be really insulting to a big club like Sunderland........

Good luck!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Greetings NSC!

So is Mr Poyet cut from the cloth as Paolo Di Canio as many in Sunderland are saying?

That is my question. I would welcome the views of you fine ladies and gentlemen.

I don't think he is cut from the same cloth really. De canio is a firebrand confrontational fascist...whereas poyet was more restrained in his actions.

Poyet would be good for Sunderland as his teams played some fantastic football and having access to premiership players, ie better players than we had/have here, he will be able to put his philosophy against the best teams week in week out.

If he gets there, enjoy the ride. We did until, like a lot of things in life, it went sour. It may have been that we couldn't match his ambitions on the cash for players fund, or his frustrations that we were looking to be the leader in the FFP imposition whilst it looks like other clubs are doing their best to work out how to avoid it...we won't know until he publishes his memoirs....and it wouldn't surprise me if there is a gagging order imposed on him so we may never find out anyway. Certainly your board do not seem reticent in splashing the cash, so he may well feel, if he gets the job, that he can achieve more there.

Knowing the yo yo state of premiership football though, it won't be an easy ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here