Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aerial TV Assistance...........

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All the TVs upstairs stopped working last night so I assume we have possibly an aerial problem. We have a splitter box in the loft which has no power is it the actual aerial that is faulty ?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Aerials don't just stop working, (unless its blown off the roof!), so its more likely to be a cable problem, connection to or from the splitter box problem or a disconnection somewhere in the cable run.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why have you got a Aerial? It's all digital now

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You need an aerial to pick up Digital Terrestrial Television (otherwise known as Freeview)

Indeed which has stopped working and not sure why, Sky is fine.

So are there any aerial experts out there ?

Please PM me

Last edited:

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Maybe it's to do with the launch of 4g phone signals in the area. We were sent a filter thing in the post to plug into the aerial socket.

Edit: ignore that, I just tried unplugging the filter and it still works fine.

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
Is there a signal now ?

I had a lot of probs last night due to high air pressure it seems

Everything working ok now tho

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is there a signal now ?

I had a lot of probs last night due to high air pressure it seems

Everything working ok now tho

No signal at present

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
remove / isolate the splitter and route one of the TV's cable direct to the aerial.
If still no picture, points to an aerial problem, else a possible splitter failure.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Where are you? We've lost most of the free view channels last night. Only really got BBC. Sky's fine though so I don't care!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shoreham-by-Sea

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Try to isolate the problem. Bypass the splitter and plug a tv straight into the aerial feed, and try different TVs from different ports on the splitter. That way you can isolate problems. Are the TV(s) downstairs working? try all the combinations and you can narrow the problem down.

The other possibility is a vermin one. Rats and mice love chewing on cables. Check the whole lengths of the cables and check for teeth marks.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You need an aerial to pick up Digital Terrestrial Television (otherwise known as Freeview)

Aaaah. I wondered why there was so many tv aerials left on roofs.

I thought they had to be round though, like those ones for fm radios a while back.

So although I have cable, if I plugged my aerial cable into the telly, and my telly is "free view ready", should I just get able to pick up local tv then?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Aaaah. I wondered why there was so many tv aerials left on roofs.

I thought they had to be round though, like those ones for fm radios a while back.

So although I have cable, if I plugged my aerial cable into the telly, and my telly is "free view ready", should I just get able to pick up local tv then?

In theory yes, depends on difference between "freeview ready" and "freeview built in". I think that freeview ready just literally means the set can receive digital signals, and a separate digi box is needed, if it's built in the set has the encoder built in so setting it up and tuning it is a piece of cake.

That's my understanding of it anyway. I may be completely off track here....

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
Just one point to remember that an unamplified splitter will reduce your signal by the number of outputs of the splitter, so two outputs will reduce each output by 50%, three outputs will give you only 33.3% signal for each output. You are much better off with one with an amplified splitter.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Disconnected my aerial last year with house renovation work going on. I have about 4 outlets around the house and what I assume is a booster box. I meant to reconnect it, but can't really see the point now. We have two Virgin boxes and multiple devices able to stream different things. Freeview is a bit hit and miss in terms of reception and I seemed to always be having to retune everything.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here