Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to go large on Orient to get promoted?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends if they have strength in depth guess, but what a fabulous start to the season for them, I actually quite like Orient these days. Personally think they'll struggle to stay up there.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Most seasons a good chance but wolves and posh look like could get massive points much like when we won it and hudds missed out on something like 87 points. Even the teams 4 th and 5 th haven't lost yet and are averaging 2 Pts a game.

Can't see orient lasting

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Play-offs I reckon. Home to Walsall on Saturday - if they win that, they'll be a minimum of 11 points clear of 7th already. Tranmere nearly made the play-offs last season but even they weren't quite that far ahead of 7th at any time as I recall.

I think top two is beyond a team like Orient - they won't have enough strength in depth on those gates.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Play-offs I reckon. Home to Walsall on Saturday - if they win that, they'll be a minimum of 11 points clear of 7th already. Tranmere nearly made the play-offs last season but even they weren't quite that far ahead of 7th at any time as I recall.

I think top two is beyond a team like Orient - they won't have enough strength in depth on those gates.

I agree. They rely heavily on Lisbie, so if he got injured, they would not be able to keep up their promotion charge. I would like to see them get promoted and playing at the Amex.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I agree. They rely heavily on Lisbie, so if he got injured, they would not be able to keep up their promotion charge. I would like to see them get promoted and playing at the Amex.

Indeed. Maybe they could resign McGleish to play in that game?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They're on a brilliant run, but so were Tranmere last season and look how badly they crashed. Orient simply don't have the squad depth or the money to sustain it. They could just as easily lose four on the trot once this run comes to an end.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see them beat teams like Peterborough, Wolves and the like to promotion, but I really don't see it happening.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They're on a brilliant run, but so were Tranmere last season and look how badly they crashed. Orient simply don't have the squad depth or the money to sustain it. They could just as easily lose four on the trot once this run comes to an end.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see them beat teams like Peterborough, Wolves and the like to promotion, but I really don't see it happening.

Slade took Yeovil to Wembley in the playoffs with a shoe string squad beating Forest on the way. If he's lucky with injuries then it could happen.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The people who talk about Tranmere know nothing about that team. It was heavily reliant on Jake Cassidy to produce the goals and when he went back to Wolves, they crumbled away.

Orient are not relying on anyone. They have assembled a squad of good league 1 players and only lost about 2 of their last 21 games, going back to last season.

Rustle Salde has developed a winning mentality and is rightly assuming his place at the top of League 1. Long may he reign.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I'm really pleased for Russell Slade and the ex Albion players.

However, due to that odious spiv wideboy, Barry Hearn, I don't wish them too much success. I have never forgotten or forgiven him those comments after the notorious 4-4.

If they ever make the big time, those people in the Corner Flag Flats could be onto a decent earner. Matchday hospitality from somebodies front room? :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely the start of the season was the time to go large on the O's promotion.

I doubt they were 7/4 then.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Mooney has scored 8 also & took over penalty taking duties from Lisbie a fn ago. Batt has 5 as mainly a sub for them both, they're not a one trick pony

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Tranmere looked like certainties for the title up until the end of January, but then started on a disastrous run which saw them freefall to mid-table - and they still havent ended that fall and are hovering around the relegation zone.

You cant say they will be promoted after just 8 games, its a marathon - not a sprint.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The people who talk about Tranmere know nothing about that team. It was heavily reliant on Jake Cassidy to produce the goals and when he went back to Wolves, they crumbled away.

Orient are not relying on anyone. They have assembled a squad of good league 1 players and only lost about 2 of their last 21 games, going back to last season.

They are relying on individuals though, of course they are. Kevin Lisbie, who is in his thirties and has never really been a consistent scorer throughout his career, and Mooney. One of them pulls a hamstring and....pop goes the weasel.

Yeovil last season had Paddy Madden, who they struck lucky with and who proved absolutely prolific. Orient might make the play offs if luck favours them. But the money teams will win out in the end.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'm really pleased for Russell Slade and the ex Albion players.

However, due to that odious spiv wideboy, Barry Hearn, I don't wish them too much success. I have never forgotten or forgiven him those comments after the notorious 4-4.

If they ever make the big time, those people in the Corner Flag Flats could be onto a decent earner. Matchday hospitality from somebodies front room? :thumbsup:

Dean Cox for one has beefed up from the Slim Jim I saw whiz around the Brentford defendes at Griffin Park about five seasons ago. Both goals were scored at the away end so I couldn't sewe if he was involved in either. Vincelot too seems to be a key man.

Good luck to them a win against Walsall should be their's but of course all the other sides will want to be the one to break the run. Unlike an unbeaten run though, Orient have to go all out and not just settle for a draw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here