Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to go large on Sunderland to be relegated...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Much as I still like GP, I think its one hell of a gamble.

If Gus gets the job, go large on Sunderland. I'm sure there will be attractive odds as most of the nation just thinks Gus was just victim of a ruthless sacking..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Good idea, if you want to lose a load of money. Not a chance in hell of them going down if they get him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Much as I still like GP, I think its one hell of a gamble.

If Gus gets the job, go large on Sunderland. I'm sure there will be attractive odds as most of the nation just thinks Gus was just victim of a ruthless sacking..

I disagree actually, Gus is a good manager with innovative ideas. I think he could keep them up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He'd keep them up, no trouble. they've plenty of good players, who will buckle down, now they've won their little battle with PDC.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hope whoever gets the job diesn't..but that would still leave two other berths to fill.

I've read that twice and still can't understand it.
I hope that if Gus does get the job, he does keep them up and as a bonus, makes sure that Palace are relegated.
In fact, I hope that whoever gets the Sunderland job, keeps them up, so that Palace get relegated.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There are enough sides worse than Sunderland that he should have no real problem staying up.
Palarse are certainties for the drop and Cardiff, Hull, Newcastle, Baggies and Norwich (plus Villa if they cant keep hold of Benteke) will all be challenging at the wrong end of the table.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet would keep them up, we know how good he is at setting his teams up to defend. If I was going to put money on a team for relegation it would be Palace, they have very little going for them on the pitch, around the ground or in the manager's office. Implosion coming shortly I expect. Palace also got lucky to play Sunderland at Selhurst during this fiasco with Di Canio, otherwise they'd probably have three points less than they have at the moment.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sunderland rock bottom so even 4 th bottom is success . Great job for someone's cv in my opinion. Hope not Poyet

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the monetary difference between avoiding relegation just and being relegated and obtaining the parachute payments. Is it possible that they would accept relegation this season, to get the payments and regroup and go for automatic promotion next season.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sunderland rock bottom so even 4 th bottom is success . Great job for someone's cv in my opinion. Hope not Poyet

Not really, we're only 5 games in!

Jan 3, 2008
What is the monetary difference between avoiding relegation just and being relegated and obtaining the parachute payments. Is it possible that they would accept relegation this season, to get the payments and regroup and go for automatic promotion next season.

If we assume Sunderland get relegated but achieve automatic promotion the following season they will be WORSE off by approx £37m - (this ignores changes to cost base through potential reduced wage bill etc)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Doubt it given that most teams these days that go down don't bounce straight back up, and many struggle. Parachute payments all get spent on paying off 2-3 year contracts of overpaid, failed premier league players.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
pdc started well with a couple of wins but then got tonked 6-1 by Villa and hasn't won since. Interestingly, in the matches since then 9 out of the 14 they've conceded have been in the final quarter of the match. This would suggest that either PDC couldn't make good substitutions or the players weren't fit, or both. However, they have been competitive well beyond half- time, whereas Palace look vulnerable from the word go.

It wil be interesting to see if a manager who's side couldn't win from behind for two whole years can get his new team to fight. Whatever happens, the quality in the Prem means Sunderland will go behind more often than they take the lead.

The bottom line is I think Gus will keep them up, but it won't be easy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Doubt it given that most teams these days that go down don't bounce straight back up, and many struggle. Parachute payments all get spent on paying off 2-3 year contracts of overpaid, failed premier league players.

I actually think the parachute payments masks the real issue of 'relegation trauma'. Many sides that get relegated appear shell-shocked the following season as though their world has been shattered, especially those sides that lived well beyond their means.

It looks like being a while before the likes of Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton will seriously challenge for promotion again, whereas the likes of Hull, Reading and Blackpool who have been prudent live to fight another day.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I actually think the parachute payments masks the real issue of 'relegation trauma'. Many sides that get relegated appear shell-shocked the following season as though their world has been shattered, especially those sides that lived well beyond their means.

It looks like being a while before the likes of Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton will seriously challenge for promotion again, whereas the likes of Hull, Reading and Blackpool who have been prudent live to fight another day.

... He says as QPR currently sit top of the table.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If we assume Sunderland get relegated but achieve automatic promotion the following season they will be WORSE off by approx £37m - (this ignores changes to cost base through potential reduced wage bill etc)

If Carlsberg did high risk strategies .................. (Oops, meant to quote BG post)

Sunderland will stay up whoever goes there

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

60 million minimum for staying up, 18 million first year parachute payment.

42 million+ difference.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
They'll finish safe in mid-table if Poyet goes there.

Their defence will get sorted out sharpish. You seem to forget that with Poyet, Brighton managed to beat a very good Newcastle team (when they were pushing for Europe in the Prem) and a slightly weaker newcastle side a season later. We also beat Sunderland up at their place (I think? May have been at home.) Also narrowlyl lost to Liverpool in the League Cup (choosing to ignore the FA cup thrashing later that season)

If he can beat two established Prem sides and get close to Liverpool with Brighton, imagine how well he can do with 'Premiership' resources.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here