Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think that other teams/fans see Brighton as a 'tough team' to play?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've heard it this season when referring to the likes of QPR, Reading, Watford...they're tough teams and we'll be happy with a point. Leeds seem to be a perennial tough team. As the thread says, do you think we're now established as a decent Championship side that other teams respect and would rather not play when looking for easy matches? And if so, are we just a tough team at home or are we a force to be reckoned with away too?

I think so. It seems that we fall in that bracket of 'dark horse'/ 'be there or thereabouts at the end of the season' - but then again I'm extremely biased. I wonder if other teams think we're punching above our weight esp with an unknown like Oscar managing us.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I think the days of 'we should be beating teams like Brighton' are gone at least

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good question, and have often found myself pondering this. I think we should be viewed as a tough game but I don't think we are, by fans at least. Given the negative set up of a lot of teams at the Amex maybe the managers give us more respect.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No, not the fans.

I think a lot of them still view us as a tinpot league 1 or 2 team, and react badly if we 'dare' to beat them.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Pretty much a whole generation of fans has grown up knowing us as a perennial crisis club, bumping around the bottom two divisions. Stuff like our FA cup final appearance means as little to them as Stanley Matthews does. It'll take a long time to completely shift that perception, but we're getting there.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
As has been said, those in football know we're a good team and will be 'there or there abouts'. It's the fans of teams who used to be big clubs who don't know bugger all about football. They're the ones who get their noses put out of joint.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't think there are any pushovers in the Championship. But I'd like to think we now have enough of a pedigree to have earned the respect of our rivals as being hard to beat.
Last season we had one of the best defences in the Championship.

Certainly when we get all our injured players available our squad will be as good as any.

I suspect there may have been an element of onlookers thinking we've had such a rapid rise on and off the pitch that everything looked in place to succeed only for us to blow it in the play offs, the embarrassment of Poyet's public fallout, 'poogate' etc that we deserve knocking back a peg or two. If we can show we have survived the Poyet saga, the subsequent disruption this caused and turn things around fairly rapidly to become contenders under Oscar, especially with a depleted squad then it can only reinforce how we are viewed by our rivals.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I can't remember in the last two seasons in the league a team that has come down here without parking the bus and attacking on the break , may be Watford so that says a lot about us !!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As said above, those that have a clue what they're talking about see us as a tough team to play. A lot of fans don't have scooby though.

I was chatting to a Leeds fan the other day who was pleased to have got the 'tough games' out of the way. Safe to say, we weren't included in the tough games, Bolton were.

Also, a Bournemouth fan was saying that it's impossible to imagine Bournemouth or Brighton in the Premier League. He seemed genuinely surprised when I pointed out that we had the biggest crowds in the league.

theboybilly

I was surprised by some of the comments on a QPR forum saying that the match (v Albion) was as dull an affair as they'd witnessed in a while and that Brighton relied on tippy-tappy possession football their our own half. I didn't think Rangers had much of a clue how to break us down and only really threatened from Barton free-kicks, whereas we had more chances from open-play despite injuries and suspensions weakening the options. I think a fair few teams may be in for a shock when we're up to full-strength and firing an all four cylinders. Reading, another promotion favourite, were totally devoid of ideas against us.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The pundits always seem to hold us in high regard now. At the end of last season we were the club tipped to go up.

D

Deleted member 18477

I think they probably see a game at the Amex as tough... At home a lot of teams would fancy their chances...

Same as us really.. Fancy our chances against most at home but away is a bit of a lottery in this division.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I was surprised by some of the comments on a QPR forum saying that the match (v Albion) was as dull an affair as they'd witnessed in a while
Well it's all about opinions I suppose. I thought it was a cracking game of football, both teams playing good, quick passing football, 2 very good defences and let's be honest very poor strikers up against them but a cracker none the less.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Regardless of what others think, it's fantastic that there aren't any teams in the league that we're scared of. Of course, that doesn't mean we'll win all or even most of our games, but when we went up two years ago, I spent a fair amount of that first season worrying about which teams were "beatable". It doesn't even cross my mind now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well it's all about opinions I suppose. I thought it was a cracking game of football, both teams playing good, quick passing football, 2 very good defences and let's be honest very poor strikers up against them but a cracker none the less.

I enjoyed it, but it was a shame that Ulloa was suspended or we may have sneaked a result.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Basing my reply solely on the opinions of Championship team supporting friends/colleagues then; yep.

That said, whilst few expect to beat us when the teams meet they rarely think we'll beat them either.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I think the days of 'we should be beating teams like Brighton' are gone at least

Not when it comes to Sheff Weds :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Most opposition fans see us as gay surely?

Seriously. Very few have learned to fear us, results over rhe last three years notwithstanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here