Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rules question re ref on Saturday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When the ref went to stamp on the balloon and the ball bounced off him straight to a Bolton player who's shot was well saved by Koosh, I assume the goal would have stood if it had been scored. Question is, could the ref have blown up immediately and ordered a drop ball from where he diverted the ball? Are there rules re something like this?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If I remember rightly, as far as the Laws are concerned the ref is considered part of the pitch. So yes, it would have stood. Don't think he had any reason to blow up - no infringement had occurred.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
When the ref went to stamp on the balloon and the ball bounced off him straight to a Bolton player who's shot was well saved by Koosh, I assume the goal would have stood if it had been scored. Question is, could the ref have blown up immediately and ordered a drop ball from where he diverted the ball? Are there rules re something like this?

It would have been a goal:
As per Law 9 of the game (Ball in and out of play), if during the game the ball hits the referee (or an assistant) there is no stoppage in play. However the officials would be expected to position themselves such that this would be unlikely to occur.

The ref is treated the same as a post or corner flag in this regard.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If that was how they scored the opener, the ref would almost certainly give every decision our way for the rest of the game!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Can't a referee stop the game at his discretion though?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I asked a qualified referee about this on Sunday.

The Laws of the Game state that a goal can be scored when the ball is in free play and deflected off any object that is on the pitch, otherwise goals that hit a post or a crossbar would not count.

If a player had a shot and it reflected from an opponent, match official or a bird (sorry it's the most obvious one I could think of), would it be fair for the scoring team to have their goal disallowed?

So, the answer is that if the referee have blown for a drop ball then he would have been in contravention of the Laws of the Game for stopping a clear goalscoring oppurtunity.

What the Law also states however, is that the referee must make every effort not to interfere with the flow of the game and so, his adjudicator at the match may tell him to reposition himself better so that he doesn't find himself in a similar position.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
I was wondering that too, but then i remembered the inflatable ball incident when sunderland played liverpool a few years back, and that goal stood.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very daft pass from Ince anyhow, was under no pressure whatsoever.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He would have been marked down for it, but no, nothing he can do. He is considered part of the pitch.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was wondering that too, but then i remembered the inflatable ball incident when sunderland played liverpool a few years back, and that goal stood.

It was a Liverpool ball too, which made it even funnier!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
OK so what if
a player hits the ball towards the goal and it looks most likely to go in but half way there the ball bursts and the inner part goes into the goal and the outer goes over the bar
what would that be?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What?

He was playing it out to Ward, in some space, before the ref got in his way.

The ref was quite clearly in the way. Why make the pass? I thought Ince played well overall but everyone seems to be overlooking the fact he was definitely rushing things and overhitting passes quite regularly. He had plenty of space to move into before making a pass, and it nearly cost us a goal.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
OK so what if
a player hits the ball towards the goal and it looks most likely to go in but half way there the ball bursts and the inner part goes into the goal and the outer goes over the bar
what would that be?

That would depend entirely on whether we were attacking or defending. *Nods*

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I asked a qualified referee about this on Sunday.

The Laws of the Game state that a goal can be scored when the ball is in free play and deflected off any object that is on the pitch, otherwise goals that hit a post or a crossbar would not count.

If a player had a shot and it reflected from an opponent, match official or a bird (sorry it's the most obvious one I could think of), would it be fair for the scoring team to have their goal disallowed?

So, the answer is that if the referee have blown for a drop ball then he would have been in contravention of the Laws of the Game for stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity.

What the Law also states however, is that the referee must make every effort not to interfere with the flow of the game and so, his adjudicator at the match may tell him to reposition himself better so that he doesn't find himself in a similar position.

So,would he have to give himself a red card? Or would the assistant referee do it? :)

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand

The referee is part of the field of play and therefore, if a deflection is made by him and crosses the goal line then a goal is rewarded.

anyone remember one of them Play For Today type thingys on TV late seventies/early eighties, set in the north (aren't they all?) about a sunday league team and the local kids in the area, at the end, the ref during the last minute of the match, flash backed to his own failed dreams as a player, headed a corner into the top of the net in spectacular style to score the winning goal, when confronted by the losing team he simply quoted the laws of the game as above.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here