Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning new Iphone software doesn't make it waterproof!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
iphone2-1-400x240-20130924-073040-248.jpg

A fake Apple advert claiming the new iOS 7 software makes iPhones and iPads waterproof has apparently fooled some users into destroying their devices.
The "advert" circulating on social media sites claims that updating devices with the operating system installs a "smart switch" that cuts off the phone's power supply when water is detected.
This, it claims, "prevents any damage to your iPhone's delicate circuitry".
The advert looks remarkably similar to an authentic Apple advertisement, with the same plain white background and minimalist font and style.
It seems some users have been fooled into dunking their expensive gadgets into water to test out the promised feature, only to render their devices useless.

One user wrote on Twitter: "Whoever said iOS 7 was waterproof **** you."

Another wrote: "OK whoever said iOS 7 is waterproof GO **** YOURSELF."

The prank idea is believed to have originally started on the controversial forum 4Chan.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/waterproof-iphone-advert-owners-fooled-150255487.html#M4xXXgv

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
One user wrote on Twitter: "Whoever said iOS 7 was waterproof **** you."

Another wrote: "OK whoever said iOS 7 is waterproof GO **** YOURSELF."
. :laugh:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
That sounds like the kind of thing 4Chan would do.

Lulz.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whoever thinks a SOFTWARE update could render the iPhone waterproof deserves their phone breaking.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are talking about Americans, right?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I believe the new Sony phone is waterproof. Apple late again with technology.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I saw that yesterday. I'm not convinced that people really for it, it's easy to quote tweets from anonymous users. I'm sure there are people thick enough to think that software can make a phone waterproof but surely not many. And would they have the sort of dosh to buy new phones?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Wy didn't their carers step in and stop them from doing it?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I saw that yesterday. I'm not convinced that people really for it, it's easy to quote tweets from anonymous users. I'm sure there are people thick enough to think that software can make a phone waterproof but surely not many. And would they have the sort of dosh to buy new phones?

I think you maybe surprised, remember those people who were driving into rivers because their Sat Nav's told them to do it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here