Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Wrong With Our Culture

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it not "our culture" as evident in the first minute, its all cultures. its human nature.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nothing. The British do not have a generic " culture"

We are a mongrel nation that embraces other " cultures"

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
corporations, banks, capitalism, and the media are the roots of all the cultural problems in the west.

it is not humans that are the problem - go live in the Bukhtan, or what was the Tibetan mountains - very peaceful, honest, and respectful.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Interesting clip - shows what man can / has achieved.
Some may argue its not all good but if you look back through history, is there I time when you would rather have lived?

Ummm, a poll maybe - which century would you have preferred to live in any why?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
check out the doc, Surviving Progress on Youtube. Very good doc expanding on some of the themes in the above video.

Interesting clip - shows what man can / has achieved.
Some may argue its not all good but if you look back through history, is there I time when you would rather have lived?

Ummm, a poll maybe - which century would you have preferred to live in any why?

Good idea, also at what level of society would you like to have been, I suspect few would want to be "Baldrick" level!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you think that a violent authoritarian dictatorship is the only alternative to capitalism, then you really haven't given this much thought.

It's you that is blaming all the troubles of the world on capitalism. I merely pointed out that one particular system that isn't capitalism has killed 100 million people and therefore your assertion that "it's obvious that capitalism is what is wrong" is rubbish. Unless of course you think the 100 million deaths is acceptable.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Whatever system is adopted, in whatever country it always seems like it arrives at the same result: A minority end up living like kings and the rest of the population suffer.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
It's obvious that capitalism is what is wrong with the world.

It is a system that encourages excessive consumption, mass consumerism, mindless hedonism and an aggressive self preservation.

....and that's not even mentioning the social and financial inequality that it maintains.

And yet it's capitalist countries that have the highest life expectancies, lowest crime rates, are least violent, have greatest ethnic and sexual equality, lowest levels of real poverty, highest literacy rates, most freedom of religion, assembly and speech.
Capitalism has huge drawbacks, but to steal from Winston Churchill " capitalism is the worst economic system we've tried apart from all the other forms"

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If you think that a violent authoritarian dictatorship is the only alternative to capitalism, then you really haven't given this much thought.

i wonder what you have thought of that has eluded the rest so far? i'd point out that authoritarian dictatorship and capitialism are not mutually exclusive, the Chinese have moved to capitialism within their single party system.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
corporations, banks, capitalism, and the media are the roots of all the cultural problems in the west.
it is not humans that are the problem - go live in the Bukhtan, or what was the Tibetan mountains - very peaceful, honest, and respectful.

This!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
For those of you who didn't bother listening to the entire thing, check from 3.50ish onwards, comments about what we are allowed to watch on TV, and what we are not allowed to watch.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
For those of you who didn't bother listening to the entire thing, check from 3.50ish onwards, comments about what we are allowed to watch on TV, and what we are not allowed to watch.

i'll confess i didnt watch it all (the sound/music pissed me off), but seeing the point you raise, it's utterly false and can only imagine he's had a very limited view of media, focusing on news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here