Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I am happy to confess that I was gutted when it became clear the Poyet was on his way. We owe him a lot and he brought masses of style and flair to the club and the team and I wish him well. When Oscar was appointed I had no preconceptions and was simply releived that we hadn't plumped for a 'boring English manager'.

However, I am now absolutely delighted with the way things have turned out. IMO OG has tweaked the side so that they are playing better than under Gus - getting the ball forward quicker. He has got KLL and Calde playing better than ever, he has brought in some real talent and his general reserve and decorum is a refreshing change to Gus's hissy fits and sulks.

Well done Tony.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am happy to confess that I was gutted when it became clear the Poyet was on his way. We owe him a lot and he brought masses of style and flair to the club and the team and I wish him well. When Oscar was appointed I had no preconceptions and was simply releived that we hadn't plumped for a 'boring English manager'.

However, I am now absolutely delighted with the way things have turned out. IMO OG has tweaked the side so that they are playing better than under Gus - getting the ball forward quicker. He has got KLL and Calde playing better than ever, he has brought in some real talent and his general reserve and decorum is a refreshing change to Gus's hissy fits and sulks.

Well done Tony.

Agree with all of that. OG is a braver manager too with substitutions if Saturday is anything to go by too.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Bringing in the young players is something he has done, Gus didn't really apart from a few odd appearances for JFC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bringing in the young players is something he has done, Gus didn't really apart from a few odd appearances for JFC.
That's a bit harsh.

Gus didn't actively block JFC & March.
If anything he did the ground work so they could make appearances this season.
March may well have a loan period ahead of him as he's currently behind 3 top class players, just like JFC last season.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I thought the performance against reading was awesome, shame we did not get the goal our performance deserved if ulloa had stayed on i think we may have done, but the passing was just superb

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well done Tony.

This is 100% true. Top post. Ignore the 'Groundbreaking' post.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Yep Oscar is like a Poyet 2.0. He has the tactical knowledge and ability to get us playing decent attacking/possession football, can make subs that change the game (something Poyet never seemed to be able to do), and is completely understated and humble in the media. Every week in training is going to be a step forward with our players at the moment. Come Xmas time, when hopefully we have the majority of injured players back and they've all been with Oscar and his coaching team for 6 months or so, everything could be looking quite rosy.

I don't want to underestimate the work Poyet did for us either. He worked absolute miracles with this club and has got us to the fantastic position we are now.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
That's a bit harsh.

Gus didn't actively block JFC & March.
If anything he did the ground work so they could make appearances this season.
March may well have a loan period ahead of him as he's currently behind 3 top class players, just like JFC last season.

I agree he did the ground work, he and the backroom staff managed to help develop all the players, he deserves credit for that. But I thought he could have allowed a few more appearances to younger players, but who am I to judge, he did magnificently well as Brighton manager and he did a lot of work to bring this club forward. Hopefully now Oscar can build on the foundations laid by Gus.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yep Oscar is like a Poyet 2.0. He has the tactical knowledge and ability to get us playing decent attacking/possession football, can make subs that change the game (something Poyet never seemed to be able to do), and is completely understated and humble in the media. Every week in training is going to be a step forward with our players at the moment. Come Xmas time, when hopefully we have the majority of injured players back and they've all been with Oscar and his coaching team for 6 months or so, everything could be looking quite rosy.

I don't want this to sound like I'm having a go, but when has Oscar made subs to change the game? His earliest substitution on Saturday was 20 mins after our third goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sheffield Wed's :lol: team selection will be interesting.

After Saturday it's the sort of game Gus would follow up by packing the midfield, or something equally head scratching.

It would be great if Oscar can add to the flair with a touch more consistency from the big performers.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sheffield Wed's :lol: team selection will be interesting.

After Saturday it's the sort of game Gus would follow up by packing the midfield, or something equally head scratching.

It would be great if Oscar can add to the flair with a touch more consistency from the big performers.

Maybe he ought to be thinking about the Ipswich game first?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe he ought to be thinking about the Ipswich game first?
But the Ipswich game is a specific away game, a la QPR and Reading. I wouldn't expect such a crazed attacking display there.

Wednesday :lol: is a home game that 'should' be won, and the team should reflect that, taking into account the manner of our last home game.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
But the Ipswich game is a specific away game, a la QPR and Reading. I wouldn't expect such a crazed attacking display there.

Wednesday :lol: is a home game that 'should' be won, and the team should reflect that, taking into account the manner of our last home game.

Fair do's.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I don't want this to sound like I'm having a go, but when has Oscar made subs to change the game? His earliest substitution on Saturday was 20 mins after our third goal.

Millwall was the one I had in mind. Playing pretty badly for the first 50 odd minutes, he changed things round with (from my hazy memory) Orlandi and Lua Lua coming on and we were class for the rest of match, eventually getting the equaliser. Just remember thinking at the time Poyet wouldn't have changed things that early.

Saturday could be an example of him being able to give a proper half time team talk that got instant results? Will be interesting to see if we do come out all guns blazing in other games this season if we're behind at half time. Not expecting 3 goals in 5 minutes again though!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here