Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

America'a Cup - anyone else getting excited?

Firefly

GTAV NSC Crew
Apr 8, 2010
Total lack of interest in the AC from British media, despite 'Serrrrrrrr Ben Ansley' (As the US commentators call him) turning around the fortunes of the American Team

I have to say its the best televised (Streamed on you tube for us Brits) Sailing event ever.
Coverage on line so much better than the Olympic sailing coverage, people who know what they are talking about.

Anyone one else watching?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tumbleweed_rolling.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Total lack of interest in the AC from British media, despite 'Serrrrrrrr Ben Ansley' (As the US commentators call him) turning around the fortunes of the American Team

I have to say its the best televised (Streamed on you tube for us Brits) Sailing event ever.
Coverage on line so much better than the Olympic sailing coverage, people who know what they are talking about.

Take no notice of Easy, he's Bats.

Despite it being rubbished by mostly American Yachting pundits, it turns out the foiling boats and the graphics make it the most exiting bit of yacht racing ever.

Firefly

GTAV NSC Crew
Apr 8, 2010
With so many hobie 16s on the beach i would have thought that there must be quite a few fans of foiling 72ft cats in Brighton...

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Awesome, fantastic coverage. 50 MPH in a sail boat!
Nail bitting stuff. On BBC2 at 13:30

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
With so many hobie 16s on the beach i would have thought that there must be quite a few fans of foiling 72ft cats in Brighton...
And again in English?

I must admit I've watched bits of it (it's on Sky), but that's really because it's in San Fransisco, and when we were there in August they were setting up the stands etc, so we're not really watching the sailing.

Not my sport (especially as we've always been shit in the Americas Cup), although I'll admit it is fractionally more interesting than Formula One - but as I say that's really because of the scenery and for my wife and I to go "Oh look, didn't we walk past that bit?"

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This sort of thing is exiting to watch even if you don't understand it?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Oooh, is that the Bay Bridge in the background? We were one of the last people to drive across the old one before it closed. I personally think it's more impressive than the Golden Gate bridge.

(And, no, I don't think a clip of two boats nearly crashing into each other is that exciting. At least in Formula One the DO actually have crashes not just near-misses. I guess I'll have to wait for "When boat racing goes bad" to see the really good bits!)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Oooh, is that the Bay Bridge in the background? We were one of the last people to drive across the old one before it closed. I personally think it's more impressive than the Golden Gate bridge.

(And, no, I don't think a clip of two boats nearly crashing into each other is that exciting. At least in Formula One the DO actually have crashes not just near-misses. I guess I'll have to wait for "When boat racing goes bad" to see the really good bits!)

Unfortunately there is no video of the capsize back in May, when Andrew ( Bart ) Simpson died. ( He was a multi Olympic medallist from Dorset.) I personally look at the new bridge and look at the support that my Sister cycled into and cut her head, even with a helmet on. Carnage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I didn't even know what sport it was.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Watched the two races tonight. Seems odd that most of the American crew aren't american! Out of the whole squad, only two plus one who has dual nationality with Oz.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
The America's Cup is still going to be Russell Coutts's cup.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

Very much so here with both boats skippered by Aussies and heaps of the buggers in each crew there's a lot of nostalgia for when Australia won it back in the day with Australia II out of Perth - all over the news here. Shaping up for one of the greateset chokes in sporting history it seems....

8-1 down to win 9-8.

I really don't understand sailing but that has got to be one of the biggest comebacks in the history of sport.

Well played Sir Ben.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bandwagon jumping on social media sites tonight . Great achievement but let's be honest no one cared until it got to about 8/6 . Even this thread started couple days ago .

Be forgotten by Friday

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Amazing result. USA looked out of it and the Kiwis so dominant.

I hope Ainslie gets a decent amount of credit.

The Kiwis don't normally capitulate like that so will be facing some interesting questions.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Once saw this in Valencia as was living there and some italian chick i knew was working there and got me in - full of rich tossers really, and corporate toss sponsors.....champagne, night clubs, glitz, mega pricey shit food, and more toss.

Oracle, Prada etc.....says it all.

good tech on the boats tho, shame about the humans involved.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Bandwagon jumping on social media sites tonight . Great achievement but let's be honest no one cared until it got to about 8/6 . Even this thread started couple days ago .

Be forgotten by Friday

Exactly. Even if this ranks as the moat amazing sporting achievement ever, I don't give a shit as it's noddy sailing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here