Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Santander ( not the bank) anyone been ?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Like any big city the outskirts are a little grotty, the centres quite pretty, nice walks along the front/cliff tops. Standard cafes etc Bilbao is just along the coast probably has a bit more going on.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Beautiful beaches, good selection of bars in the centre - although a bit quiet until after circa 9pm, like most Spanish cities. Racing Santander have a nice little stadium almost on the beach (which I was very envious of until The Amex). Personally I would prefer to go in the spring/summer, as northern Spain can be a bit grey and grim in autumn/winter.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Sardinero beach is beautiful. The old town is nice with some really good bars and restaurants.

Everyone seems really friendly. I really liked it there.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
This is one of the views from the beach.

image.jpg

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Had a few days there about 5 years ago as part of a Spanish 'tour'.

Fantastic beach and no English - lots of Madrid folk go there in August to get away from the heat. Great traditional tapas place in the old town, all tiles and characters. Stadium worth a visit.

PG

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
The weather should be OK for the next few weeks. Try and visit some of the villages along the coast. Bilbao is worth a visit as is the neighbouring province Asturias. People are generally friendly, known to be conservative. Know it a little as I live down the road in Vitoria, Basque Country.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Good place with a typical maritime climate......like Brighton. As basque seagull said, Bilbao (great city) is worth a visit. Northern Spain is a friendly place but it helps if you speak a few words of the language. I might be wrong but I think Seve Ballesteros came from Santander way. Vitoria, Inigo C's home city, is also an interesting place.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Lots of 'pijos' (Spanish for 'posh') e.g. people walking around looking like golfers, sweaters around their shoulders, etc. The countryside and coastline is spectacular, a bit like Wales; wet, but bigger and little warmer too. Eat pinchos and enjoy the white wine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here