Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who ACTUALLY scored the first two goals yesterday?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I know they have been credited as own goals but surely Lua Lua's cross-shot was on target?

Also, with Bolton's goal, did the ball touch anyone in the six yard box?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With Bolton's goal, Ngog stretched for it, but when it went in he didn't celebrate and pointed at his team mate as if to say 'yours', so I don't think Ngog got a touch, which would make it an own goal.

Lualua's was a pass, I think to call it a cross-shot is a little deceptive - it wasn't really going across goal, it was played toward the near post, and it was played pretty much to Barnes's head, but his jumped just missed it, but apparently did enough to distract Spearing. Spearing's header changed the course of the ball, I think Bogdan would have been behind it otherwise, so it will be an own goal, too.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
With Bolton's goal, Ngog stretched for it, but when it went in he didn't celebrate and pointed at his team mate as if to say 'yours', so I don't think Ngog got a touch, which would make it an own goal.

Lualua's was a pass, I think to call it a cross-shot is a little deceptive - it wasn't really going across goal, it was played toward the near post, and it was played pretty much to Barnes's head, but his jumped just missed it, but apparently did enough to distract Spearing. Spearing's header changed the course of the ball, I think Bogdan would have been behind it otherwise, so it will be an own goal, too.

I remember it used to the case that if a player took a shot and it was on target, no matter how weak, it would be credited to that attacking player even if it took a wicked deflection off a defender which proved decisive in fooling the keeper.

Has that changed in recent times?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think Barnes tried to claim it at the time.

He definitely tried. He was about to go mental with his celebration, but someone clamped onto him making it a little more restrained. I called it as an own goal straight away.

I remember it used to the case that if a player took a shot and it was on target, no matter how weak, it would be credited to that attacking player even if it took a wicked deflection off a defender which proved decisive in fooling the keeper.

Has that changed in recent times?

I don't know how recent, but even as far back as when Andy Grey was at sky sports it was the case that if a keeper was likely to save it and the deflection takes it away from him, it is given as an own goal.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here