Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Royal Mail shares.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
bit of a lottery and hard to tell......but if I had enough capital i would wait and go long on twitter when it floats soon, and also go short on olympus, plus barnes and noble (both soon to nosedive).

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thinking of a dabble in shares but not sure where to start, any tips on where to go and what to buy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brewdog is a good investment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Brewdog is a good investment.

Brewdog shares should be seen more as being members of a club than an investment, getting the bar/online discounts for being a holder. iirc the shares arent listed on any exchange and their latest share offering works out to a P/E 250. thats highly speculative.

Post office will certainly give a dividend, and priced to give a good rise. will certianly go into the FTSE 100 so supporting the price. they've dumped the pension liabilities on the tax payer while seem to be increasing business in package delivery, so yeah probably OK. just my tuppence, not advice, read the prospectus first.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brewdog shares should be seen more as being members of a club than an investment, getting the bar/online discounts for being a holder

I will be able to trade my shares and dividends will be payable but both in the future. I cannot recall what the date is though.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I will be able to trade my shares and dividends will be payable but both in the future. I cannot recall what the date is though.

I seem to remember 2016 for some reason? I think as said above its more a club than an investment for now but well worth it if you want to buy there beer, and in reality a future gamble thats free when you buy enough of the stuff!

Yes - because they are likely to be priced fairly low so as to attract lots of interest.

But as a long term investment? Not in my book, not in a declining market with a heavily unionised expensive workforce. Good reasons to buy and sell quickly, IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I seem to remember 2016 for some reason? I think as said above its more a club than an investment for now but well worth it if you want to buy there beer, and in reality a future gamble thats free when you buy enough of the stuff!

Sounds about right. I recall they said that they will provide their own platform for trading although they have alluded to a possible AIM listing in the future. I guess it is a gamble but the company growth has been exceptional since I invested and I think it will continue. The lifetime 20% discount is paying me a dividend of sorts :wink:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sounds about right. I recall they said that they will provide their own platform for trading although they have alluded to a possible AIM listing in the future. I guess it is a gamble but the company growth has been exceptional since I invested and I think it will continue. The lifetime 20% discount is paying me a dividend of sorts :wink:

I think that 20% discount is better than you would get on any other shares and actually gives true value, especially if you enjoy the beer! I really need to get some everytime I dont and I buy at Tescos etc its actually costing me money!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes - because they are likely to be priced fairly low so as to attract lots of interest.

But as a long term investment? Not in my book, not in a declining market with a heavily unionised expensive workforce. Good reasons to buy and sell quickly, IMHO.

The RM share price will be priced low enough for the pension funds and investment bankers to scoop up what is available. I don't think there is much interest from the general public to even buy and sell straight away as there is an element of risk not seen before with a privatisation.

Yes Yes Yes.

The government will price these too low - they could not risk losing face with them not selling.

Also RM have implied the yield will be about 6% which is quite frankly amazing if true.

This is one for a balanced portfolio or a first time investor IMO

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
I need to do some more research as I dont understand it all but would people agree that if I buy just 1 share for 750 would that even be worth it or is it only something for people that would buy a lot?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I need to do some more research as I dont understand it all but would people agree that if I buy just 1 share for 750 would that even be worth it or is it only something for people that would buy a lot?

Do some research. The fees on share dealing, will make it pointless.

Have a look at share.com - I use them for very irregular trading and works for me

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is ironic. I've been thinkinng recently about shares as I have literally NO CLUE how to start or where to even THINK of beginning.

I have very little money per month to throw towards it, I just want to know how to go about starting in buying shares.

Do you go through your bank?

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
This is ironic. I've been thinkinng recently about shares as I have literally NO CLUE how to start or where to even THINK of beginning.

I have very little money per month to throw towards it, I just want to know how to go about starting in buying shares.

Same position as me

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Same position as me

Look at the website in my last post, you will get a lot of information there. You probably want to throw lumps at it, rather than regular small amounts.

Or maybe just look at their Stocks/Shares ISA as its tax-free investment, up to £11.5k a year (depending on circumstances.) More ideal for steady long term investment, than quick short gains

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here