Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big F**k Off Boat Off Brighton Yesterday Morning...

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Did anyone see the large navy/fisheries/something important looking boat that went along the seafront yesterday then back out to sea.

I was in my office on North Road and had to stop and gawp. I don't think I've seen one that large since Athena B.

Does anyone know what it was ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is one that s regularly off brighton, hms sussex? It looks from the distance like a frigate, but its actually smaller

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
There is one that s regularly off brighton, hms sussex? It looks from the distance like a frigate, but its actually smaller

Can't be HMS Sussex (de-commissioned) but thanks for posting that. From a distance it looked huge. I've tried googling and although some folk have made reference to it no-one has identified it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In Wikipedia, there looks like one that may be the same , certainly from my binoculars occasionally.

Hms Severn

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Guard-ship for the labour Party, in-case any one tries a sea invasion. There will be a Grey Rib with four guys in black trolling up and down off the Brighton Centre next week as well.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Off Brighton at the moment, Fugro Commander (Dredger), Markab (Drilling) Sand Harrier (Dredger) and the Norrvik (Cargo ship).

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Markab-920498.jpg

This one?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It could have been anti-fishing or coast guard which paid for by respective agencies but are run by the navy and in navy colours.

See a fisheries vessel regularly off Brighton as the patrol the coast. Off you really want to know next time search AIS tracker and see what's off coast.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
They was a Navy grey coloured ship flying the Dutch Flag moored in Shoreham Harbour during the week. It did not appear to have any armament showing and the shape of it precluded it from being any sort of merchant ship.

My brother once commanded a Royal Navy fisheries protection vessel based in Scotland. It made occasional trips to and from Portsmouth. He once decided to call in on me on the way down. This involved mooring up outside Brighton Marina for a couple of hours, whilst he came ashore in a dinghy.

This could have been a similar occurrence.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
do RN vessels show up on marinetraffic or just as 'unspecified'?

The AIS is boat specific but it might not show the name (just googling the number will show who it is or clicking through to the details of that boat on some trackers) there are sometimes when they are switched off and off the top of my head I can't remember when that is. When I was posted to the royal marines and exercised against RN vessels we cheated by tracking it via AIS even tho we were meant to us the heli's and spotters. Strange we never lost it and always got good post exercise right ups.... :p

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The AIS is boat specific but it might not show the name (just googling the number will show who it is or clicking through to the details of that boat on some trackers) there are sometimes when they are switched off and off the top of my head I can't remember when that is. When I was posted to the royal marines and exercised against RN vessels we cheated by tracking it via AIS even tho we were meant to us the heli's and spotters. Strange we never lost it and always got good post exercise right ups.... :p

hahaha, cheers. got the mobile app and its excellent. i am tragically addicted to it.

if its the one Baron P is talking about you see it quite regularly between Brighton and Newhaven, Still have no idea what she is though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here