Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I always wondered what a 'libero' role was

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I guess that was Bruno's position today. That's not a pop at him but he didn't look like he really knew where he was supposed to play. Thank goodness we had no more injuries and I'm glad to see him back.

Seriously - what is a libero? Only ever seen it on footie management sims.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I guess that was Bruno's position today. That's not a pop at him but he didn't look like he really knew where he was supposed to play. Thank goodness we had no more injuries and I'm glad to see him back.

Its a sweeper who brings the ball out of defence, a ball playing defender essentially. He was more a trequartista, playing a free role behind the forward. Really flair, loved him roaming about :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was waiting for Calde to wangle his way into centre forward, once Barnes and then Buckley were substituted.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was waiting for Calde to wangle his way into centre forward, once Barnes and then Buckley were substituted.

You are really stupid at times, did you not see him try and get the keeper gloves off Tomas

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You are really stupid at times, did you not see him try and get the keeper gloves off Tomas
It may well have been 3-3 if he'd succeeded.

Expect Tommy K in yet another contract reminder headline, early next week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Apologies for anyone who has heard me drunkenly and loudly reciting this story already today, but my coach at the ex-pat drinking club football team I played for used to shove me on with 10 minutes to play with the instruction "make a nuisance of yourself".

That's exactly what I believe the instructions were to Bruno today.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Libero started as a free defender to mop up behind the central defenders. Classic example would be the Italians, such as the ultra-defensive Inter side in the 1960s.

Taking their cue from the Dutch, I think it was the West Germans in the 1970s who pioneered the attacking role that a libero could take, moving confidently with the ball out of defence, knowing that the main defensive positions are adequately covered.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

In the context of a Championship match? It has no meaning.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bruno would not be a good libero as he doesn't read the game well enough and his distribution is poor.

Not saying it's the best use for them in our side, but both Kazenga and Bridcutt would be better players in that position.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham

I was a bit disappointed at that.
Calde has mentioned his aspirations of being a striker a few times. I'd have put Dave at right back Calde front-right and Bruno in the middle still.

Bruno simply stayed available for the ball and passed it on very quickly, kept the ball moving and the oppo chasing the game... Simples.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here