Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i360 is going ahead. Former potential investor has been arrested.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-24174654

This extract sums it up-

...Brighton developer Mike Holland, who has previously expressed a wish to buy the nearby ruined West Pier, said the project did not have a hope of being realised.

He said: "Let's be honest about it, Nelson has more chance of getting his eye back than David Marks does of finding backing for this scheme.

"Let's stop talking about it, let's all stop being silly and let's get on and do something else. Let's tidy the seafront up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I have said before, **** all ever gets built in Brighton. It's depressing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Meanwhile The West Pier Trust continues on its merry funded way. Anybody smell fish?

'History of the Trust

In 1998 the Trust was awarded £14.2m by the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the restoration of the pier. It was complicated project involving a substantial enabling development and several years of negotiations between the Trust, Heritage Lottery Fund and a series of private sector partners ensued against a background of sustained opposition from the owners of Brighton (Palace) Pier. Finally by 2003 all obstacles had been overcome and the Trust was on the brink of restoration. In March and May 2003 two devastating arson attacks destroyed the Pavilion and Concert Hall. The pier was now almost completely destroyed and in 2004 the Heritage Lottery Fund took the difficult decision to withdraw its grant.

In 2005 the Trust recognised that with no prospect of public funding the full restoration of the pier could not be achieved. Instead it settled on looking for a solution that would combine blending preservation of the heritage of the pier with the creation of heritage for the future. The objects of the Trust allow for a new feature provided that the Trust does its best to retain as much of the heritage as is practical and financially feasible. The i360 provides that perfect solution; its exquisite design and advanced technology are considered wholly appropriate for the site – a vertical pier.

The Trust believes that once the i360 is under construction there will be new interest in developing the pier itself. It would be a contemporary interpretation of the West Pier, like the i360, reflecting the high standards of design and advanced technology used by the designer of the pier, Eugenius Birch.'

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You would have to assume that he means to get rid of the wreck of the West Pier, and tidy that area up. While we've been waiting for something, anything, to happen, it's got, shall we say, a little dilapidated.

If the i360 doesn't go ahead I'll be hugely disappointed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and what exactly does Mike Holland think he's going to do with the rusting hulk of the West Pier? selling for scrap is the only practical use of it, if theres any usful iron left.

real shame they cant get this off the ground.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
This city is a joke sometimes, it could be an innovative forward-thinking place, but we're stuck looking at a pile of rust.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Won't be losing any sleep. If they're going to build something they should build something useful, like houses.

There's no point in having a giant white spike on the seafront if you've got to move to Bognor to pay rent.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
i360 - private investors withdraw funding. its dead. accept it.

Why not concentrate on building a new, modern pier? The i360 is as dead as the Gehry Towers King Alfred redevelopment.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Why not concentrate on building a new, modern pier? The i360 is as dead as the Gehry Towers King Alfred redevelopment.

Another huge disappointment. That would have been brilliant. As Herr Tubthumper says, **** all ever gets built in Brighton.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
If there is any public money allocated to this project. It should be spent on Max Miller Walk, which now cannot take any large crowds, as it is liable to collapse, or so I have been told.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Meanwhile The West Pier Trust continues on its merry funded way. Anybody smell fish?

'History of the Trust

In 1998 the Trust was awarded £14.2m by the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the restoration of the pier. It was complicated project involving a substantial enabling development and several years of negotiations between the Trust, Heritage Lottery Fund and a series of private sector partners ensued against a background of sustained opposition from the owners of Brighton (Palace) Pier. Finally by 2003 all obstacles had been overcome and the Trust was on the brink of restoration. In March and May 2003 two devastating arson attacks destroyed the Pavilion and Concert Hall. The pier was now almost completely destroyed and in 2004 the Heritage Lottery Fund took the difficult decision to withdraw its grant.

In 2005 the Trust recognised that with no prospect of public funding the full restoration of the pier could not be achieved. Instead it settled on looking for a solution that would combine blending preservation of the heritage of the pier with the creation of heritage for the future. The objects of the Trust allow for a new feature provided that the Trust does its best to retain as much of the heritage as is practical and financially feasible. The i360 provides that perfect solution; its exquisite design and advanced technology are considered wholly appropriate for the site – a vertical pier.

The Trust believes that once the i360 is under construction there will be new interest in developing the pier itself. It would be a contemporary interpretation of the West Pier, like the i360, reflecting the high standards of design and advanced technology used by the designer of the pier, Eugenius Birch.'

I didn't know they got £14.2m in 1998, I'm even more shocked now, I thought they were just incompetent.

Just checked out their accounts, which only goes back to 2008 online, but I can see that they are spending about £100k a year, 50% of that, they pay themselves as wages. The rest I guess goes on expenses for dancing with the developers and the council.

West Pier Trust Accounts

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This extract sums it up-

...Brighton developer Mike Holland, who has previously expressed a wish to buy the nearby ruined West Pier, said the project did not have a hope of being realised.

He said: "Let's be honest about it, Nelson has more chance of getting his eye back than David Marks does of finding backing for this scheme.
Why is he sticking his oar in?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I didn't know they got £14.2m in 1998, I'm even more shocked now, I thought they were just incompetent.

Just checked out their accounts, which only goes back to 2008 online, but I can see that they are spending about £100k a year, 50% of that, they pay themselves as wages. The rest I guess goes on expenses for dancing with the developers and the council.

West Pier Trust Accounts

Makes you sick really, absolutely shocking thy nobody has done anything to stop it

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
If there is any public money allocated to this project. It should be spent on Max Miller Walk, which now cannot take any large crowds, as it is liable to collapse, or so I have been told.

Max Millar Walk?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Time now to move on and remove what remains of the West Pier. Leave it as it is and it will take 3 or 4 bad storms to completely destroy it but that may be over a period of 20 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here