Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queen (music) appreciation society..

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Fantastic band, right up there with the best. My Uncle was lucky enough to meet them all after a show in London in the early 70s, he showed me the album they signed for him, must be worth a fortune now!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My favourite band. Freddie had IMO the best vocal voice I have ever heard.

sherrinned

Aug 12, 2003
West Worthing
Got all the albums, I am one of those who think they are one of the best British bands of all time, however I accept they are the musical equivalent of marmite. Was lucky enough to see them in 1982 with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts supporting also went to concert for aids awareness.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I liked early Queen (first 4 albums).

However, "Bismillah! No! We will not let him go." is challenged only by [insert any line from Rebecca Black's 'Friday' here] for the title of Crappest Song Lyric Ever Written.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Saw them at Knebworth which was probably one of their last ever gigs.

They were stunningly good, Mercury really worked the crowd

Perhaps the saddest thing ever was that Queen / David Bowie could have done "Under Pressure" live at Band Aid but did not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw them at Knebworth which was probably one of their last ever gigs.

That was the last Queen gig ever.

I saw them at Wembley in '86 and to this day it is my favourite gig ever. I was 17 at the time and it had quite an effect on me and cemented the path for my interest in live music and inspired me to move to London. A truly great and idiosyncratic English rock band who I place alongside all the great bands like Pink Floyd, The Stones and yes The Beatles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mercury was also the master of the camp and dismissive rebuttal as well. I found his "Well I could hardly be a car mechanic could I?" answer when asked why he became a singer amusing. And his "budget? Oh do **** off" reply to his PA when questioning the spiralling cost of a party in Ibiza is my favourite and says so much about his approach to life. More rock stars need a "budget oh do **** off" attitude IMHO.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That was the last Queen gig ever.

Really, I knew it was one of the last but not the last - it was awesome.

Freddie Mercury owned the audience which I would have imagined was 100,000 or so. I actually saw them arrive in the helicopter that was in their colours.

Amazing gig

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really, I knew it was one of the last but not the last - it was awesome.

Freddie Mercury owned the audience which I would have imagined was 100,000 or so. I actually saw them arrive in the helicopter that was in their colours.

Amazing gig

I was one of the Wembley gigs on the same tour and like Knebworth he owned the audience. It was an incredible performance; the likes of which no band I have seen since has ever reached.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Queen were definitely up there with the best although my affinity would never waiver from Bowie live who I have seen in several tours and each and every time he delivered.

Another notable live act which not many will agree on me with was Madonna in the "Blonde Ambition" Tour. The choreography was absolutely stunning and boy did she have a good singing voice.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Queen at Wembley in 86 was fantastic. However INXS and Status Quo were dire.

The Alarm though. What a band. They knew and played their part as a brilliant support band, and made me laugh.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I saw them in 1979 at the Brighton Centre on the Crazy Tour. We were right up at the front. The best concert I have ever seen. Played virtually the set from the Live Killer Album plus Crazy Little thing called Love and Save Me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Queen at Wembley in 86 was fantastic. However INXS and Status Quo were dire.

The Alarm though. What a band. They knew and played their part as a brilliant support band, and made me laugh.

I didn't think they were that bad. INXS were pretty good, albeit unknown at the time, and Quo were just Quo. For some reason I still remember Michael Hutchins catching an orange which someone threw at him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I didn't think they were that bad. INXS were pretty good, albeit unknown at the time, and Quo were just Quo. For some reason I still remember Michael Hutchins catching an orange which someone threw at him.

The funniest ever support act I have seen was Dr and the Medics when Simple Minds played at the Milton Keynes Bowl.

They were first up on a blisteringly hot day and I have never seen so much litter hurled at the stage when they played their first track and fair play to them the lead singer did say we've survived the first track so let's play out the set.

I think they managed four songs with the final being Spirit In The Sky and by then the whole crowd were on their side - marvellous scenes

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It is a lasting regret that I never got to see them live, the Wembley 86 DVD is one of my absolute favourites.

Freddie had it all, the stage presence and charisma, the musical ability and most importantly he could SING. Monserrat Caballe said he had the best voice, technically speaking, she has ever sung with, including opera singers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here