Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things I like about being British

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Before troll invasion, just let one thread go without pejorative comments about the negative side of life where we live. I wrote a post a few months ago about why I like the BBC and the best responses were from ex-pats in far away lands. Not creating a magic world, which I know can never exist but I do like it here more than any other country I know. So here goes..

Tolerance beyond any other country. And believe me I have seen the change in 10 years here
Quiet pride without flouting it
Funniest people
Most polite
Easiest language to learn although bow and bough must be difficult
Forgive people who have hurt us
Have the SAS when they just might
Love all sports even when we don't win, but we keep it going, just in case we might. (Ashes, Wimbledon, all change, World Cup not)
Live in a democracy where we can say enough is enough (Syria vote for example)
Best authors, poets, designers and popular music (since 1962).
The countryside.

If you take all that on, or some of it, then would just like your thoughts.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Sorry mate but the 'Quiet pride without flouting it' bit made me laugh in the context of this thread ;)

I'd like to ask why you think English is the easiest language to learn though? It's something I deal with all the time, along with learning other languages. Most famous yes, and sure everyone probably knows a few words. The alphabet is easier to learn than say, Chinese, but speaking? Learning a language takes a lot of time and effort (and for some people an aptitude for it) , English is no different, but some people seem to think they could just pick a language up, 'if they wanted to'. Bruno is a great example. He's really put in the effort. You can see from his interviews how he was always trying and listening and now he does them on his own. No mean feat at all.

Here's something I love about Britain, when someone is in your way

'Excuse me'
'Oh, sorry'
'sorry,no problem, thanks'

or words to those effects. Love it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I love that you could be spending one day sitting there in your t-shirt and shorts lapping up the sun, and the next wrapped up in your thermals drinking bovril at the football.

I love that we don't shout a vulgar catchphrase like other nations at every opportunity (U-S-A, viva españa etc).

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Before troll invasion, just let one thread go without pejorative comments about the negative side of life where we live. I wrote a post a few months ago about why I like the BBC and the best responses were from ex-pats in far away lands. Not creating a magic world, which I know can never exist but I do like it here more than any other country I know. So here goes..

Tolerance beyond any other country. And believe me I have seen the change in 10 years here
Quiet pride without flouting it
Funniest people
Most polite
Easiest language to learn although bow and bough must be difficult
Forgive people who have hurt us
Have the SAS when they just might
Love all sports even when we don't win, but we keep it going, just in case we might. (Ashes, Wimbledon, all change, World Cup not)
Live in a democracy where we can say enough is enough (Syria vote for example)
Best authors, poets, designers and popular music (since 1962).
The countryside.

If you take all that on, or some of it, then would just like your thoughts.

Very good post Brixton, miss the UK sometimes for this reason. I am so over rugby now.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Self depreciating humour is one thing I really miss.

I sometimes make these kinds of jokes and they are met with strange look.

Modesty is a wonderfullt British trait.

Loved Stephen Fry's comment about being faintly embarrassed to be winning so completely in the Ashes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I love that you could be spending one day sitting there in your t-shirt and shorts lapping up the sun, and the next wrapped up in your thermals drinking bovril at the football.

One day ? Within one hour sometimes over here

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
The changing of the seasons,nothing beats a good spring/autumn morning.Also our grass is some of the finest in the world,not the smoking variety by the way!!!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
//troll stomps in...

council tax.

strangers hardly speaking to eachother.

weather.

traffic.

class system.

superiority complex regarding other countries.

complete apathy with anything the goverment do.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Clearly there are some bad things, but, as this thread is about the good things, then I'll also have to go with self-deprecation (anathema to many Americans, it seems), saying "Sorry" when someone bumps into you, the love of tea and ummm crumpets and baked potatoes (not together).

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Most polite??

At one time I would've agreed with you on this...but the last 40 odd years people seem to get angry at the least possible excuse...
In my teens most of us, (you always get the odd exception) would stand for the elderly,infirm, the ladies on public transport...opened doors and hold them open for the following person,majority of people were honest,returned lost property.
People were calmer,far more polite and please and thank you were the mark of of a good upbringing.
What we have now is a society...of me,me,me. Very few people would stand for the elderly on a bus or train now...attitude of it's my seat...or F**k you Jack,Im inboard....I know my rights...blah! blah!
Ask a stranger in a pub..."Excuse me is this seat occupied"Answer....Yeah! What's wrong with "Sorry mate,it's my friends seat who is at the bar.
Once had a young girl walk straight into me when leaving the shop...she turned to her friend and said,"Fu****g old people,why do they have to git in your Effing way!
Road rage has increased tenfold......
In general life has improved tremendously with all the gadets we have now,life...easier...but over the last few years people have got more obsessed by themselves.
I am speaking generally here,of course there are still people with a modicum of decorum and there is good and bad amongst all people...but to say we are polite is way off the mark now.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Self depreciating humour is one thing I really miss.

I sometimes make these kinds of jokes and they are met with strange look.

Modesty is a wonderfullt British trait.

Loved Stephen Fry's comment about being faintly embarrassed to be winning so completely in the Ashes.

Agree with all of this. But not some of the origins of this thread re' language, design, authors etc.
My pride is much less about being British but much more about following the epitome of a well run Football Club :bhasign:

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I work with Americans and I have to say British humor... I mean humour too long with them. I can often tell a story from my past or make a not so obvious joke, I only ever see blank expressionless faces in front of me.

On the other hand, it could just be I'm not funny.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Most polite??

At one time I would've agreed with you on this...but the last 40 odd years people seem to get angry at the least possible excuse...
In my teens most of us, (you always get the odd exception) would stand for the elderly,infirm, the ladies on public transport...opened doors and hold them open for the following person,majority of people were honest,returned lost property.
People were calmer,far more polite and please and thank you were the mark of of a good upbringing.
What we have now is a society...of me,me,me. Very few people would stand for the elderly on a bus or train now...attitude of it's my seat...or F**k you Jack,Im inboard....I know my rights...blah! blah!
Ask a stranger in a pub..."Excuse me is this seat occupied"Answer....Yeah! What's wrong with "Sorry mate,it's my friends seat who is at the bar.
Once had a young girl walk straight into me when leaving the shop...she turned to her friend and said,"Fu****g old people,why do they have to git in your Effing way!
Road rage has increased tenfold......
In general life has improved tremendously with all the gadets we have now,life...easier...but over the last few years people have got more obsessed by themselves.
I am speaking generally here,of course there are still people with a modicum of decorum and there is good and bad amongst all people...but to say we are polite is way off the mark now.

Society is less polite than it used to be, yes. But most people are still polite, it's just that those that are not 'shout louder'.

I've always found most people in European countries, the USA and Canada to be polite too. I don't agree that this is a British thing.

I think that we have been incredibly lucky to be alive in the last 50 odd years, when Britain has been culturally at the forefront musically, in literature and in style. I think we are about to be left behind, though.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Being British means I'm not French. You can't get better than that!!!

Xenophobic nonsense. The dismissal of an entire country, it's people, it's country, landscape, architecture and culture - one of the things I hate about being British.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can often tell a story from my past or make a not so obvious joke, I only ever see blank expressionless faces in front of me.

Welcome to my world

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
//troll stomps in...

council tax.

strangers hardly speaking to eachother.

weather.

traffic.

class system.

superiority complex regarding other countries.

complete apathy with anything the goverment do.

that is Wales you are talking about
and surely the OP meant England and the English

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here