Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
calde-l229-1066520_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
15:22 20th September 2013
by Joel Essex
I’m sure the experience will help them become better people"
Inigo Calderon
Inigo Calderon joined over 150 proud parents and young people from across Sussex at the Amex last night to celebrate the achievements of this summer’s AITC National Citizen Service (NCS) programme.
The NCS programme is a government-backed initiative aimed at developing skills for work and life for the country’s 16 and 17-year-olds. Over 30,000 young people across the UK took part in last year’s scheme.
Students on AITC’s summer programme spent three weeks in August taking part in outdoor team-building activities in the Peak District before getting involved in activities including football coaching and film making at the University of Brighton and Sussex University. The students also spent a week at the Amex taking part in workshops, planning recently-completed voluntary projects with local charities.
Calderon, the 2012 Football League Community Player of the Year, was at the event to speak to the students and award them with certificates for completing the course and delivering their projects.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “It is really important for young people to get involved in things like this and the ones I spoke to were really pleased they decided spend their summer taking part in the programme. I’m sure the experience will help them become better people.”
Jo Robson, who leads AITC’s NCS programme added, “It was great to see everyone back at the stadium to celebrate the achievements of the students. They were a fantastic group of young people to work with and we are all really proud of them.”
You can read more about the NCS programme in tomorrow’s edition of Seagull and hear Jo Robson talk about the initiative during half-time of the game against Bolton Wanderers.
Albion in the Community are recruiting students for their next NCS programme which takes place during Autumn half-term (28th Oct – 3rd November).
To find out more e-mail dan.garrett@albioninthecommunity.org.uk

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here