Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peaky Blinders, BBC 2, your thoughts ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
After 2 episodes of the “ gritty “ docu-drama the series is drifting in to familiar territory. Our anti-hero Tommy Shelby, effective leader of the Peaky Blinders has started his softening up procedure. Although tough as nails he has shown the worrying signs of being romantically attracted to Grace the undercover agent opf Chief Inspector Chester Campbell. Campbell in his way, has started his downhill metamorphosis from firebrand protestant upholder of the law.

Expect Tommy to romance and pursue Grace, with good grace rather than just take what he wants. Tommy will want this to be pure and and that Grace wants him for the misunderstood ne’er do well rather than a ruthless gangster. Expect Chester to betray his values in order to get the result he wants.

Therein lies the story, Tommy turns nice, Chester turns little better than the gangster he is chasing. Grace will at some time, betray Chester for the rough diamond Tommy. In between there will be lots of menace in the dialogue, much of this whispered for attempted gravitas. In fact it is hard to pick up what is being said as the two main lead’s volume and accent wobbles and transmutes.

I’m finding Tommy’s accent particularly annoying, sometimes it is almost a gritty Our Friends in the North and others it’s a jovial comedy Brummie. It’s like trying to feel threatened by Noddy Holder, it just doesn’t scare. And as for the family’s trademark, razorblade enhanced flat caps, when used in slo-mo against some Tinkers, my mind instantly jumped to The Goodie’s and Ecky Thump. I really expected Tommy to administer the Coup de Grace with a stocky Black Pudding pulled from his jacket. Still, it is a brave attempt to weave drama and history together and at least it is not yet another challenge/voting prog.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
watched the first one
and NO

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just watched the second one and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing the trackside bookie war unfolding at Cheltenham next week...

Agree that the opening fight scene wasn't very convincing.

The creation of a sympathetic/hero side to Tommy and making the chief plod into a baddie thanks to his war dodging are obvious but not a problem.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I thought the first episode was a bit meh. I will make up my mind after I watch the second one.

My housemate kept going on about how she really liked the name "Peaky Blinders" and how it made them sound cheeky and innocent...and then I told her what it meant.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I've watched the first two episodes, trying to like it. The modern soundtrack jars a bit, and some of the writing is shocking with the characters explaining what's going on the whole time like an edition of Blue Peter. It's not a classic but I've seen worse and I'll probably stick with it. It scores a Brownie point by NOT showing "what happens next week" at the end of each episode. I HATE that!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It looks sumptuous but is in fact shit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Unfortunately, for all of its merits, it will forever be a poor man's Boardwalk Empire.

Thinking of that, why hasn't Steve Buscemi ever had his teeth fixed ? He looks like he could bite through cables.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
It's not the worst thing they've ever made but I can't stand all the arty farty camera angles and slowmo's, there are also no characters (albeit after only 2 episodes) that I like or care about. Unfortunately although he's a good actor I've always found Cillian Murphy's face to be slightly disturbing and difficult to like, which doesn't help.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite enjoyed it, caught most of last nights episode, but I do need subtitles. As Brovian has already alluded to, the modern soundtrack wasn't a great idea.

Did people really have haircuts like the lead character in those days?? Squirrel on top of very short hair on the rest of the head? I know it's seen as tres chic at the moment but...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Much of it was filmed in Liverpool, although it is supposed to be set in Birmingham.

Dandyman

In London village.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
..... And as for the family’s trademark, razorblade enhanced flat caps, when used in slo-mo against some Tinkers, my mind instantly jumped to The Goodie’s and Ecky Thump. I really expected Tommy to administer the Coup de Grace with a stocky Black Pudding pulled from his jacket.

This bit made me laugh out loud:thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just watched 2nd episode and I've changed my opinion slightly. The last 10 mins were superb and I'm quite looking forward to next episode. Also, if I'm not mistaken Nick Cave provides a fair amount of the soundtrack, which is never a bad thing.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like it. Will be watching the rest of the series.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here