Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strongest Back Four in Years????

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was thinking to myself after the QPR result on Wednesday night, isn't this the best back four we have had for many many years?. With the exception of last season perhaps when we had Briidgey rampaging down the wing from left back. Mind you Stephen Ward seems to be an excellent replacement and l feel he is only going to get better and better once he has properly settled in. And with Bruno still to return to the side the potential is there to get even stronger.

What do others think?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think threads like this are curses.

I also think you're right , but not a big fan of saying it out loud.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
edit: Ignore me I'm a pleb who misread the topic title

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I was thinking to myself after the QPR result on Wednesday night, isn't this the best back four we have had for many many years?. With the exception of last season perhaps when we had Briidgey rampaging down the wing from left back. Mind you Stephen Ward seems to be an excellent replacement and l feel he is only going to get better and better once he has properly settled in. And with Bruno still to return to the side the potential is there to get even stronger.

What do others think?

It was stronger last year as Bridge is better than Ward. We conceded the least in the division or there abouts. Saying that I do feel comfortable with our back four and Ward has slotted in nicely. Was majorly concerned at the start of the season with that Maxi lad even though he looked competent I didn't feel long term he was the answer, but now we're settled and looking strong at the back.

The only small concern is no adequate cover for the PIG. If he gets an injury we could be in trouble.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No -Hinshelwood Cullip Butters Mayo
That was a very decent Third Division back four. Nowhere near the quality of the past two seasons.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It was stronger last year as Bridge is better than Ward. We conceded the least in the division or there abouts. Saying that I do feel comfortable with our back four and Ward has slotted in nicely. Was majorly concerned at the start of the season with that Maxi lad even though he looked competent I didn't feel long term he was the answer, but now we're settled and looking strong at the back.

The only small concern is no adequate cover for the PIG. If he gets an injury we could be in trouble.

I don't think that there are many teams in the world who wouldn't say that about their first choice keeper. Back-up keepers will start about 2-3 games a year; you're never going to get anyone decent who'd be prepared to do that.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No -Hinshelwood Cullip Butters Mayo

Stronger than Bruno Greer Upson Bridge from last season? 4 internationally capped/selected players, Bruno was for Catalonia but still. No way the back four you selected is better than that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bruno Greer Upson Bridge is easily our best defence in my lifetime.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

What do others think?

Best back 6 we have possibly ever had. I would say the best in the division by a mile. Especially when you think that we can interchange players like Bridcutt (eventually) Andrews and Ince to sit in front. Ward looks very good, Brino and Calde are exciting, and Upson anf Greer are class. Keeper's not bad either :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apart from QPR, there isn't a club in this division where their second keeper isn't a concern.

It's like this whole "WE NEED A STRIKER" theme. You go to a message board of any other Championship and they're saying the same thing.

The irony is that most would LOVE our keeper and striker situations themselves.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Agree with the OP except for the Bridge thing.

But a look at the table will show that we are already in the position where nobody has conceded fewer goals than us ...... except QPR.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure if they all played together but think they were all around at the same time (Lawrenson and Nelson might just have missed each other)

Stevens, Foster, Lawrenson, Nelson.

Two full England internationals, Eire International and a Northern Irish international. 100 caps between them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Bruno Greer Upson Bridge is easily our best defence in my lifetime.
One counter to that is that Bruno lost form in 2nd half of the season and was then injured so this foursome hardly ever played together.
The tight defence was more down to Calde Greer Upson Bridge.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here