Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scottish Independence Question

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Something has been bugging me for a while and I cant seem to find an answer. If Scotland go independent, do they take a portion of the national debt, I.e. about 10-15%? That could be a problem for them if they had to start out with serious national debt.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Something has been bugging me for a while and I cant seem to find an answer. If Scotland go independent, do they take a portion of the national debt, I.e. about 10-15%? That could be a problem for them if they had to start out with serious national debt.

Good point, though anything that might make them less likely to leave should be discouraged. Let 'em do their own thing so that we can stop paying higher taxes to subsidise them.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I believe that the uk subsidise Scotland however I don't know enough re oil & gas revenues from the North Sea but how many jobs would move back to the uk also I think around 7000 jobs would be lost if the Royal Navey pulled out of Scotland . Any other intresting facts!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
And what happens to the Faroes, Hebrides and Shetlands? They don't consider themselves Scottish.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just leave them the RBOS debt

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And what happens to Northern Ireland? Are we to be left with a rump UK of them, us, and the Welsh? I guess 'yes', although whenever these nationalist questions are asked it's always from Scots / Welsh / Irish point of view, no one asks the English what we want and whether we want the UK to continue in any shape or form.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And what happens to the Faroes, Hebrides and Shetlands? They don't consider themselves Scottish.

Faroes are Danish. As for Shetland and Hebrides, what does 'don't consider themselves Scottish' mean? The Norse gave over the Hebrides nearly a thousand years ago, are there any who think they should go back to that? is what a few people think relevant?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
And what happens to Northern Ireland? Are we to be left with a rump UK of them, us, and the Welsh? I guess 'yes', although whenever these nationalist questions are asked it's always from Scots / Welsh / Irish point of view, no one asks the English what we want and whether we want the UK to continue in any shape or form.

I've always wondered why we weren't included in the vote, I don't see why we can't have a say, it's not all one-way is it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Notwithstanding debt repayments.....the actual figures just about balance for a new Scottish economy, but that dies not allow for the build up of reserves, and it us this issue that will screw the economic plans of the SNP....they have ignored debt and currency support.............essentially it is widely thought by yhose close to the top of the pro independence movement that those 'tricky' issues will be managed (paid for) by the BOE because any serious Scottish failures could affect the UK economy.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Relax. Without the English having a vote, Scotland will vote against "independence".

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They just need to make another GTA and they'll be able to pay it off.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've always wondered why we weren't included in the vote, I don't see why we can't have a say, it's not all one-way is it.

If Scotland goes independent, will that mean that the Tories are suddenly much more likely to be elected every time as the British government? It seems that quite often, the Scottish voters are the ones who are preventing this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If Scotland goes independent, will that mean that the Tories are suddenly much more likely to be elected every time as the British government? It seems that quite often, the Scottish voters are the ones who are preventing this.

Every cloud then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here