Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greetings From Bolton

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Brighton sit in 13th place in the Championship after 7 games. How has this season been for you so far? Shaky start but now looking solid. Two fantastic away performances resulting in two points and two clean sheets at Reading and QPR have me very confident for the coming season. Progress has already been made from last season, and we are still missing many key players.

How confident are you about the coming season? What position do you think Hove Albion can achieve? We can get automatics, providing our injury list doesn't stay on the same lines as it is now.

Meanwhile, Bolton sit at the foot of the Championship, with no wins and 3 draws in the league so far. Do you think Dougie Freedman can turn the bad start around and achieve promotion this season? Freedman was a strange appointment as it was, and I don't think Bolton will progress under him. Not a chance he will get you promotion this season.

Who will finish higher this season; Bolton or Brighton? Brighton, by a fair margin I think. Bar any managerial change at the Reebok perhaps.

Keith Andrews is currently on loan at the Amex from Bolton. What do you think of him? Hideous decision to loan him out to us, not that we are complaining. He is just superb and was a vital factor in our last two clean sheets playing in a deeper role than usual in Bridcutt's absence. Hope we get him permanently. I would be fuming if I was a Bolton fan seeing the form he has been in.

The loan window opened for Football League clubs last week; if you could sign any young player on loan, who would it be?
Deulofeu from Barca would have been nice, still getting no game time at Everton I believe. Nathaniel Chalobah looked very promising for Watford last season as well, but CM is our strongest position without doubt.

Who should Bolton be wary of from the Brighton team sheet? Tough one at the moment, we are a bit toothless up top with no Ulloa, CMS or Hoskins. Ashley Barnes is the only man you can choose really. Some of our fans still don't "get" him, but he is a really unique and talented young player.

Which Bolton player do you think Óscar Garcia will be telling his charges to watch out for? I can't think of one of the top of my head (long day), but I know your squad is a strong one that's not being utilised.

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday? 2-0 Albion and Freedman sacked.

Also, could you let me know how old you are, when you're first Brighton match was and who your all-time favourite Brighton player is.

21, 1997, Elliott Bennett

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Think it will be close game with us just nicking it by one goal...
Dougie to be sacked after this result...
74...Barry Rees and his very short career with us...the next Duncan Edwards

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I have a question for you. Will your fans start a fight in the away end, assault our stewards and behave like Neanderthals like last season?

It's alright so long as they're battering each other. I was impressed with the amount of ale their lads necked in the Hikers last season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I know we won at the Reebok last yr but really think we owe Bolton something Sat at the Amex. Last season's game was without doubt one of the most frustrating endings ever...

Dunno why people r that confident we'll finish above Bolton as they're a v v gd side despite their poor start...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Ah shit we lost didn't we. The game when Barnes tripped the ref in the 95th min and half of nsc decided to blame him for the defeat...

Ok we really REALLY owe them then. Pumped even more now :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brighton sit in 13th place in the Championship after 7 games. How has this season been for you so far?
Dropped four points which may be the difference at the end of the season

How confident are you about the coming season? What position do you think Hove Albion can achieve?
Fourth place behind Leicester, QPR and Watford seems to be a realistic target. Happy to go to Forest in the last match of the season needing a win for the automatic spot.

Meanwhile, Bolton sit at the foot of the Championship, with no wins and 3 draws in the league so far. Do you think Dougie Freedman can turn the bad start around and achieve promotion this season?
It might be next season now. I would expect Dougal's side to be poor travellers.

Who will finish higher this season; Bolton or Brighton? Generally we are known as The Albion. We will be 7 points or more ahead of Bolton.

Keith Andrews is currently on loan at the Amex from Bolton. What do you think of him?
A shrewd and unexpected signing. He seems to filled a missing niche

The loan window opened for Football League clubs last week; if you could sign any young player on loan, who would it be?
Chalobah. Zaha

Who should Bolton be wary of from the Brighton team sheet? Will Buckley & Kazenga Lualua

Which Bolton player do you think Óscar Garcia will be telling his charges to watch out for? Eagles

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday?0-0

Also, could you let me know how old you are, when you're first Brighton match was and who your all-time favourite Brighton player is. v Bristol Rovers in the old Division 2. First two seasons relegated. Peter Ward

Last edited:

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Brighton sit in 13th place in the Championship after 7 games. How has this season been for you so far?
I think most fans will agree with me when I say that I’d be pretty happy with the start of the season for us. We’ve obviously had a few changes both on and off the pitch which did have a slight effect on us at the start of the season. A big miss on the pitch is obviously at left back where last season we had Wayne Bridge and we started this season without an out-and-out left back. I look at it as no coincidence that our form and performances have been much improved with the addition of Stephen Ward at left back, who has been fantastic so far. Also we’ve been really unlucky with injuries so far this season with some of our most influential players being out through injury e.g. Bridcutt, Orlandi, Mackail-Smith etc.

How confident are you about the coming season? What position do you think Hove Albion can achieve?
I am very confident that we can compete up in the top 6 this season. There seems to be this belief that ‘we were only good because of Poyet’ where-as I’d definitely disagree to that. We still play the attractive brand of football; I just think that under Oscar we are much more attacking and flamboyant. He’s not afraid to go after teams and risk a point to gain 3....just like Leeds on the 1st game of the season. With Oscar, us as fans are pretty relaxed about expectations this season as we know it could take time and this is backed up with Oscar’s approach of taking it game-by-game. When we get all our injured players back I’d probably have a much better idea but I think even with the squad we have available at the current time we could challenge. At Christmas we will have a much better idea of how our season will finish.

Meanwhile, Bolton sit at the foot of the Championship, with no wins and 3 draws in the league so far. Do you think Dougie Freedman can turn the bad start around and achieve promotion this season?
Well well well its Dougie ‘f***ing* Freedman isn’t it? Do you really think a Brighton fan could say anything positive about Mr Crystal Palace? In all seriousness though he seemed to rejuvenate yourself last season after a poor start under Coyle. I also wouldn’t underestimate the experience and influence of Lennie Lawrence. When you look at the pair together at Palace, it would be fair to say that the solid unit that Palace became was down to Lawrence. He built them as a big strong team (with signings such as Jedinak, Dikgacoi and Parr) and allowed Freedman to eventually inject pace & flair from youth of Zaha & Williams as well as signings such as Bolasie and Moritz, who obviously it now at Bolton. You had a great run during the 2nd half of last season and I think most of your fans will agree that that run coincided with defensive solidarity shown in the signing of Craig Dawson from West Brom. Realistically you, as most teams in this division may argue they also, have players who can hurt teams on their day such as Beckford, Eagles, Moritz et al. So for sure you will probably feel that you will be up there challenging. I don’t completely feel that you won’t be there; I just think that at the current time I can’t see you achieving promotion. But there’s a long LONG way to go and the championship is an incredibly unpredictable league, so I don’t think ANY team (bar possibly QPR) can expect promotion this early on.

Who will finish higher this season; Bolton or Brighton?
Again, like I said in the last question, this league is so unpredictable no-one can say they will finish in a certain position or above another team. Again, I’d say lets have a look about Christmas/January time before we can say who’s going to finish higher. If I was going to stick my neck out I’d say I feel that at the moment we would finish higher. We’ve been dreadfully unlucky with injuries and suspensions so far and we still seem to have a good squad together, however I won’t be shocked to see Bolton go on a good run this season. Also, I think its fair me saying that we would finish above due to our league positions at the moment. But Bolton have fantastic resources and could very well get themselves up there......WHO KNOWS?!

Keith Andrews is currently on loan at the Amex from Bolton. What do you think of him?
Well i’m friends with a few Bolton fans actually and they were absolutely delighted we had taken them of you guys. At the time I thought it was a decent signing and perhaps some shrewd business as he could add a bit of something to our midfield. Wow I was wrong. A bit of something??? He has been nothing short of quality in every game he’s played so far. I knew of his qualities as a box to box midfielder but since he has been with us, he has covered in Bridcutt’s absence sitting in front of the backline and linking the backline into the midfield. Honestly he’s been fantastic with us and we really don’t look like we’re missing Bridcutt with his amazing midfield displays. For me he brings the quality of experience that I feel we missed last year and could be the difference between gaining promotion and missing out. I would be absolutely delighted if we could take him off your hands.

Tough question really, but one thing is for sure.....we NEED another striker. At the current time we only have Ulloa who is absolutely fantastic, but unfortunately for us he’s suspended for a couple of games yet. Barnes (who you will know from the red card he got at the Reebok last season in strange circumstances) is a very good player, but only made his come back from injury against Reading, before 90 impressive minutes at QPR. However he is used to being used as a more withdrawn attacking player, either in front of the midfield or a covering left winger (complicated position, I know!). Bar that we only have the youth of Barker and Dickensen or even attacking midfielders such as Buckley or Lualua. Now for the player I’d like us to sign, Jonathan Obika from Spurs has been very strongly rumoured to be signing on loan as soon as he is fit and he could do a good job. Personally I would have liked to have seen his Spurs team mate Harry Kane down at the Amex. Talented young striker who would fit in perfectly with his style of play and he has a decent goal scoring record. The player who has been linked with us throughout the transfer window was Luciano Becchio. Now I know he’s not a YOUNG player, but he’s a striker who I’d love to see come in on loan.

Who should Bolton be wary of from the Brighton team sheet?
Well, I’d say you might be quite lucky in that some of our most threatening players are out of the game. The likes of Orlandi, Ulloa, and Mackail-Smith would cause some problems to any team in this division. We have our fans favourite ‘Spanish Dave’ David Lopez who is a fantastic footballer playing most of his career in La Liga for Osasuna and Athletic Bilbao as well as being one of our best performers in the back end of last season. Also with the game being dubbed ‘Spanish Day’ it surely has to happen doesn’t it? Other players would be Will Buckley and Kazenga Lualua from wide and if they are both given the opportunity I’d watch out for those 2. Craig Conway has just signed on loan from Cardiff and might cause some problems if he can settle for us. Also, despite his petulance at the Reebok last season and even despite what some Albion fans may tell you, don’t underestimate Ashley Barnes.

Which Bolton player do you think Óscar Garcia will be telling his charges to watch out for?
Like I said earlier, Bolton have some real match winners in their side. The obvious name would be Jermaine Beckford who has a great record of scoring goals. However (touch wood) he hasn’t actually impressed in game against us in the past. But trust me, I will not be underestimating him! Another name for me personally would be Craig Davies. Obviously a former player of ours and did score in his last game against us and he’s got talent. I know the lad pretty well too as he is originally from where I am (Telford) and he regularly comes back home. It won’t shock me if he gets himself on the score sheet on Saturday. Other players such as Mortiz and Eagles will no doubt look to cause problems. One name I am quite happy to not see on your team sheet is Mikkel Alonso. I thought he was impressive against us last season and I am sure the players will be happy to not be facing him again.

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday?
I think it could really go one of two ways. You’d have to say on current form we SHOULD win but that’s not how football works. With our good form it would be nice to see a comfortable 2/3-0 win. I have absolutely NOTHING against Bolton, but I’d love it if we won by a few goals and it meant that Freedman lost his job. There is then the other side of things. Obviously your early season form hasn’t been great, but with some good team spirit I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t cause us problems and nick a win. Also we don’t have a great record against the management team of Freedman & Lawrence; losing twice, drawing twice and not winning once. I don’t like making score predictions particularly but I feel it could be a 2-0/3-1 to the Albion with our recent performances really looking good.

Also, could you let me know how old you are, when you're first Brighton match was and who your all-time favourite Brighton player is
I’m a young guy as i’m only 19 and as I said before I live in Telford (which to those of you who may not know, its in the west midlands) actually much closer to Bolton than Brighton. So Bolton away is actually more of a home game for me! My first match was in the late 90’s away at Shrewsbury, where along with my older brother, we were mascots for that game. Couldn’t tell you what the score was but i’m pretty sure it was a draw. Again, as it was Shrewsbury it was a home game for me being only 20minutes from my house! My all-time favourite is very easy for me. The former Dutch Marine......Michel Kuipers. Living legend at Brighton with absolute monstrous hands and one of the best goalkeepers we have had. All-round nice guy too, I couldn’t think of a bad word to say about him. As a goalkeeper myself, I used to love watching his unbelievable reflex saves for such a big guy. I liked that we had similar weaknesses too, goal kicks being one and I loved watching him towards the end of his Albion career really improve one these weaknesses and becoming a fantastic goalkeeper. Realistically I’d say that Tomasz Kuszczak is the best goalkeeper to play for us, but at Kuipers’ time in the squad we had he was outstanding. Its worth checking out his double save vs. Wolves on YouTube as well. And yes......he really was a former Dutch Marine.

Anyway hope this has been of some help to you guys and best of luck for the game this Saturday and for the season as a whole!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
As good as could be expected the football has generally been promising not not quite clicking and it looks like we will improve.

Who knows on our day we are capable of winning the league not that I think we will but I will be happy as long as we are competing for the play offs at the end of the season.

You could be the team to stumble this season every year there's a surprise but you do have the quality to move up the league, time for Doggy to show if he is any good.

Who will finish higher this season; Bolton or Brighton?
Heart says Brighton, Head says Brighton.

Thank you, poor decision on your part.

It would have to be a striker we have quality on the pitch elsewhere but a bit short up front.

Who should Bolton be wary of from the Brighton team sheet?
Tough call argueable our best 3 players - Ulloa, Bridcutt and Orlandi are argueably our best players but all out but our real strength is the way we play as a team. On their day either Buckley or Lua Lua can rip any Championship defence apart but it random.

Which Bolton player do you think Óscar Garcia will be telling his charges to watch out for?
Who cares if we have the ball they will be chasing us.

2-0

Also, could you let me know how old you are, when you're first Brighton match was and who your all-time favourite Brighton player is.
48, 1976, Peter Ward or Mark Lawrenson

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Hi there, I'm from a Bolton forum called Burnden Aces. We run a Q&A feature with other fans, and if you fancy helping us out, just answer the questions below:

Brighton sit in 13th place in the Championship after 7 games. How has this season been for you so far? Slow start, but improving as Oscar works out his team and players come back from injury.

How confident are you about the coming season? What position do you think Hove Albion can achieve? Fairly confident, 4th.

Meanwhile, Bolton sit at the foot of the Championship, with no wins and 3 draws in the league so far. Do you think Dougie Freedman can turn the bad start around and achieve promotion this season? With the squad you have he ought to given time, but hopefully not.

Who will finish higher this season; Bolton or Brighton? Brighton no question.

Keith Andrews is currently on loan at the Amex from Bolton. What do you think of him? Looks good and gives us strength in depth

The loan window opened for Football League clubs last week; if you could sign any young player on loan, who would it be? Chalabah (just gone to Forest)

Who should Bolton be wary of from the Brighton team sheet? Barnes

Which Bolton player do you think Óscar Garcia will be telling his charges to watch out for? None

3-0
Also, could you let me know how old you are, when you're first Brighton match was and who your all-time favourite Brighton player is. 52, April 1974. Steve Foster.

I look forward to reading your replies!

Hope that helps

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
If you keep the ex Palarse sweaty in charge you'll go down.

As a former Freedman fan I'm beginning to wonder if Dougie can hack it at management level. He always looked very ill-at-ease on the Palace bench even when they were doing well.I don't think he's in the Fergie-Moyes tradition, though Fergie struggled with Man U for years before providentially beating Palace in the 1990 FA Cup Final replay by a single goal.

Dougie took his Palace support gang to Bolton so really he's being judged on his own. He really did a bit of a Russell Slade job for them last season to keep them up.

Having said that look at Sladey now...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I HATE Bolton; the large number of utter twats in your fanbase, your wànker of a chairman, your greasy haired Palace manager, the fact that you used to see fit to put away fans in a pen where we couldn't see a quarter of the pitch because of a supermarket (despite gates of 4,000 meaning plenty of space anywhere else), and the fact that we were FAR better than you twice last season yet somehow only took one point off you. The day you feck off back to division 4 with modern day equivalents of shìt players like Tony Philliskirk leading the line can't come soon enough.

And yes, we will probably not beat your pile of toss tomorrow, more's the pity.

Glad to help. :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I HATE Bolton; the large number of utter twats in your fanbase, your wànker of a chairman, your greasy haired Palace manager, the fact that you used to see fit to put away fans in a pen where we couldn't see a quarter of the pitch because of a supermarket (despite gates of 4,000 meaning plenty of space anywhere else), and the fact that we were FAR better than you twice last season yet somehow only took one point off you. The day you feck off back to division 4 with modern day equivalents of shìt players like Tony Philliskirk leading the line can't come soon enough.

And yes, we will probably not beat your pile of toss tomorrow, more's the pity.

Glad to help. :thumbsup:

Bullseye. Agree with every single word.

That Normid supermarket was rubbish, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here