Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bought/brought confusion - The Argus hits a new low

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It seems increasingly common to see or hear people mistakenly use the word "brought" when they actually mean "bought", eg "I brought it in Tesco".

However, I don't think I've ever seen the reverse misuse of these words; until today. Step forward, The Argus:-

Untitled.jpg

So, is this an Argus scoop about someone cheating death through the financial resources of his friends? Have these austere times impacted the Grim Reaper as much as the rest of us, and he is resorting to raising dough through selling potential targets back to the living?

Er, no - the headline should, of course, read "The day friends brought me back from the dead".

Is this part of an inexorable trend that will ultimately result in these words being used interchangeably, simply because people become ignorant of their original meanings?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It seems increasingly common to see or hear people mistakenly use the word "brought" when they actually mean "bought", eg "I brought it in Tesco".

However, I don't think I've ever seen the reverse misuse of these words; until today. Step forward, The Argus:-

View attachment 47086

So, is this an Argus scoop about someone cheating death through the financial resources of his friends? Have these austere times impacted the Grim Reaper as much as the rest of us, and he is resorting to raising dough through selling potential targets back to the living?

Er, no - the headline should, of course, read "The day friends brought me back from the dead".

Is this part of an inexorable trend that will ultimately result in these words being used interchangeably, simply because people become ignorant of their original meanings?

Surely it should read "The day my fiends brung me back from the dead"

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Another example of what happens when you use minimum wage subs to put a newspaper together. If they earn more than the minimum wage they should be sacked. Meanwhile, Brian Owen needs to see a psychiatrist about his continuing inability to understand the meaning of the word "admit" (this morning he had Kuszczak admitting the Albion defended well) and the editor should be asked by the club why his newspaper seems pathologically incapable of spelling its name correctly. It's "Brighton & Hove Albion" you dolts.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

View attachment 47086

I think you need to get out more and meet people

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think you need to get out more and meet people

If you don't see that as a major faux pas then I think you ought to stay in more and get to meet your brain cells

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Surely it should read "The day my fiends brung me back from the dead"

Like nearly.

It should read 'Like, the day my friends brung me back from the dead'

Like, every sentence should have a 'like' in it. Like, don't you know that?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They can't spell, can't punctuate, have a poor habit of getting their grammar wrong and frequently fail to edit incorrectly placed photograhs. All in all the paper is a complete shambles. I confess that I still read it, mainly or obituaries, but the "on-line" version that is considerably cheaper. No surprise it is now based in Southampton. JV must be turning in his grave.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They can't spell, can't punctuate, have a poor habit of getting their grammar wrong and frequently fail to edit incorrectly placed photograhs. All in all the paper is a complete shambles. I confess that I still read it, mainly or obituaries, but the "on-line" version that is considerably cheaper. No surprise it is now based in Southampton. JV must be turning in his grave.

:D just saying....

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th

Couldn't agree more!

I have a real love/hate relationship with the Arsegas - it regularly prints the same story two days running or a few days apart. They had one in there last week about the i360 that was exactly what they printed three weeks ago!!

They regularly misrepresent statistics to create a story that isn't there - the list is endless!

No wonder the daily readership has reduced from around 88,000 to some 45,000 over the last five years

Despite all it's faults I can't help buying the rag every day and as I'm off to sunnier climes for 10 days on Sunday I will be searching out the local internet caff to get my daily fix!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Oh Poo, the world's about to implode. But don't worry the NSC Grammar Police are on the job. Bought, brought, brung or bringed if you haven't the savvy to understand the sentence whichever is used I'll see the point of thread. Otherwise it's pointless because we are all educated to different standards and all prone to mistakes. What would be good is some tolerance.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Oh Poo, the world's about to implode. But don't worry the NSC Grammar Police are on the job. Bought, brought, brung or bringed if you haven't the savvy to understand the sentence whichever is used I'll see the point of thread. Otherwise it's pointless because we are all educated to different standards and all prone to mistakes. What would be good is some tolerance.

It's not unreasonable to expect a newspaper to get it right FFS!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm aware funeral costs can be pretty pricey but these unforeseen overheads could leave the bereaved well out of pocket. I'm sure the Treasury will also be worried about the reduction in Inheritance Tax revenues. These "dead" - they sound a bit like football agents, only worse.

In truth that error is absolutely shocking. It's been made worse by the fact the guy was near death and today everybody's laughing about the story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here