Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uefa backs winter world cup.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So many repercussions here...This isn't just affecting the English season, but also the whole Western European season which has the biggest, TV Audiences and commercial revenue in the world...Not just in Europe and not just with football.

I reckon this could be the tipping point for some of the European Football Associations to break away from Uefa & Fifa and create a splinter group.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They're not actually backing a winter World Cup in Qatar, they're saying we totally DON'T want a summer World Cup in Qatar. This is a necessary step to narrow the debate.

If the winter World Cup goes ahead then for that season squad depth becomes even more important as the same number of games are crammed into a shorter season with a ridiculously short pre-season for 2022-23. Players won't get enough rest, so great for the rich teams, bad for the poorer teams.

Also, the transfer window will be interesting with a winter World Cup, as this runs 31 Dec - 31 Jan.

Sky released provisional dates of 04 Feb '22 - 06 Mar '22 for the tournament, with the regular season breaking for 5-6 weeks and finishing on 19th June 2022. The transfer window would go wild because there wouldn't be enough time to conduct business at the end of the elongated season because pre-season for 2022-23 would start 3 weeks after the end of the previous season.

And who the hell knows when the play-offs will happen?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The Fa should just carry on with the season. Dont have a winter break. Yes many teams will be without star players but thats what happens when you buy up all these internationals. Luckily we would not be effected much.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Australian FA now threatening to sue FIFA if the tournament is moved to the winter (I guess on the basis that they have moved the goalposts - and if Qatar was an unsuitable location for hosting the WC during the specified period, it shouldn't have been awarded it in the first place).

The vote was obviously fixed - just surprised no investigative journalists out there have uncovered enough evidence to prove it.

Great shame really, as an Aussie World Cup would have been fantastic.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Fa should just carry on with the season. Dont have a winter break. Yes many teams will be without star players but thats what happens when you buy up all these internationals. Luckily we would not be effected much.

It is over EIGHT years away ! What if we're in the Prem by then with a couple of decent international strikers ?

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Australian FA now threatening to sue FIFA if the tournament is moved to the winter (I guess on the basis that they have moved the goalposts - and if Qatar was an unsuitable location for hosting the WC during the specified period, it shouldn't have been awarded it in the first place).

The vote was obviously fixed - just surprised no investigative journalists out there have uncovered enough evidence to prove it.

I hope they do. More, I hope they win. It's preposterous that FIFA could get away with this blatant corruption, not that i'd be surprised if they did. Whole affair is disgusting. :nono:

Nevermind. England will still be shit in 2022, so I won't be watching that crap anyway. It's a real shame that it'll **** up the domestic fixtures for a year (minimum) though.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Controversial I know, but I can see it being stripped from Qatar and given to whatever country came second in the vote, probably Australia.

It's going to get even more messier and will certainly end up in court.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Imagine the 2012-13 Crystal Palace scenario but 10 years on. You've fluked your way to the Premiership, your best player is leaving, your squad is shit but you haven't got 10 weeks to sort it out, you've got 3! Holloway wouldn't have the luxury of being sacked in the autumn, he'd already be dead of a heart attack by August.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Might be good for us, our players (England) are usually rubbish come summer time.

.......well, even more rubbish than they are in Winter.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Controversial I know, but I can see it being stripped from Qatar and given to whatever country came second in the vote, probably Australia.

It's going to get even more messier and will certainly end up in court.

And hand back the brown envelopes? There's more chance I'll wake up an attractive billionaire tomorrow, my whole life to this point being one fiendishly horrific nightmare.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And hand back the brown envelopes? There's more chance I'll wake up an attractive billionaire tomorrow, my whole life to this point being one fiendishly horrific nightmare.

I don't understand your logic. Surely all it takes is a BIGGER brown envelope from the replacement Summer host to end this farce? The problem is Russia already have the 2018 World Cup so FIFA are running out of options. I suppose Bashar Al-Assad isn't too popular at the moment, and I can see Blatter holding up a piece of paper saying "The 2022 World Cup goes to....Syria!"

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I don't understand your logic. Surely all it takes is a BIGGER brown envelope from the replacement Summer host to end this farce? The problem is Russia already have the 2018 World Cup so FIFA are running out of options. I suppose Bashar Al-Assad isn't too popular at the moment, and I can see Blatter holding up a piece of paper saying "The 2022 World Cup goes to....Syria!"

Of course, but if the replacements had, or were prepared to pay more than Qatar in the first place, we wouldn't be where we are.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I believe that the 2018 world cup could be the last, there is no way the Premiership along with the other major leagues in Europe will let the players go, UEFA dont have the power, the clubs do so it doenst actually matter what UEFA say.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here