Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Intelligent and perceptive People at the Club

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I have just watched the post-match interviews with Nathan Jones and Tomasz Kuszczak (is that enough "z"s), and it just struck me how intelligent, perceptive and honest both interviews were. When one is used to watching interviews on MOTD with loads of people who can hardly string two words together (maybe I am being slightly unfair) we do seem to have more than our fair share of people who can speak intelligently and perceptively about the game, many of them in a language which is not their first language, from Oscar down.

Am I right

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have just watched the post-match interviews with Nathan Jones and Tomasz Kuszczak (is that enough "z"s), and it just struck me how intelligent, perceptive and honest both interviews were. When one is used to watching interviews on MOTD with loads of people who can hardly string two words together (maybe I am being slightly unfair) we do seem to have more than our fair share of people who can speak intelligently and perceptively about the game, many of them in a language which is not their first language, from Oscar down.

Am I right

Sorry to hark back to this - actually, no I'm not - when Adam Virgo was on the Roar last week, we were talking about post-match interviews, and how the players hate doing them because they're advised about what they should and shouldn't say. That's not just an issue at Brighton; it's everywhere.

Certain cultures (I'm looking at the Dutch, for instance here) are more likely to speak their mind, even if when offering an honest view, they come across as quite insulting.

However, whatever the players have or haven't been advised to say - there's always Ashley Barnes ready with a gem.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry to hark back to this - actually, no I'm not - when Adam Virgo was on the Roar last week, we were talking about post-match interviews, and how the players hate doing them because they're advised about what they should and shouldn't say. That's not just an issue at Brighton; it's everywhere.

Certain cultures (I'm looking at the Dutch, for instance here) are more likely to speak their mind, even if when offering an honest view, they come across as quite insulting.

However, whatever the players have or haven't been advised to say - there's always Ashley Barnes ready with a gem.

Point taken!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Am I right

Orlandi is very intelligent. Anyone who can come out with a gem like 'I did have a little problem with understanding 'procrastination is the thief of time', when asked if he had any difficulties learning English, is magnificent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Shame that philosophy wasn't explained to our last manager.. although thinking about it maybe it was and he chose to ignore it.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Agree re Nathan Jones - on the pre-match interview he used the words "plethora" and "vociferous" in quick succession , thought I was listening to Mark Lawson on Front Row by mistake :lol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shame that philosophy wasn't explained to our last manager.. although thinking about it maybe it was and he chose to ignore it.

That's the point - I'd much prefer an open and honest opinion, than a stultified, over-diplomatic answer. I preferred Gus' candour to a prepared, drab set of stock phrases.

Probably Gus was too honest, whereas you won't hear a peep out of Oscar. Somewhere in between the two would be better.

It leads on to another point about Adam Virgo - maybe he feels now that he's retired from football, he can be more open with his opinions. Pity that, as the opinions of a current player ought to be just as valid.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
That's the point - I'd much prefer an open and honest opinion, than a stultified, over-diplomatic answer. I preferred Gus' candour to a prepared, drab set of stock phrases.

Probably Gus was too honest, whereas you won't hear a peep out of Oscar. Somewhere in between the two would be better.

I am getting the impression that OG sees himself as part of a team including Burke, Barber, Nathan Jones, TB etc who jointly run the club, and as such he tend to take the lead in all the interviews. He also said that he was finding it difficult to be involved in player budgets, so some aspects of the role we are asking him to do are different to what he has done in the past.

I think there was no doubt with Gus that he saw himself as head honcho and spokesman and everyone else should fall in line.

I am grateful for what Gus did, but I know which I prefer for this stage in our development.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It leads on to another point about Adam Virgo - maybe he feels now that he's retired from football, he can be more open with his opinions. Pity that, as the opinions of a current player ought to be just as valid.

I know what you're saying but I find Oscar's look of "I really don't want to answer these loaded questions you are asking me" quite endearing. He looks like he'd rather not be there every time whereas Gus had an opinion on everything. As you say somewhere in between would be ideal but given a choice I'd go for Oscar's interview technique personally.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I know what you're saying but I find Oscar's look of "I really don't want to answer these loaded questions you are asking me" quite endearing. He looks like he'd rather not be there every time whereas Gus had an opinion on everything. As you say somewhere in between would be ideal but given a choice I'd go for Oscar's interview technique personally.

I've got to say that I really like Oscar's look when asked loaded questions! "You must think I'm stupid if you think I'm going to answer that". Brilliant! When asked questions about injuries though, I get the impression that he answers pretty honestly.

Also liked Nathan's interview last night - thought he was both balanced in his view of the game and reasonably forthcoming.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see Oscar as very 'swan' like.
Its all going on out of sight, but cross him and he'll break your arm.

Gus was an entertaining ring master.

I was happy with the latter, im happier with the former.

I'm still struggling with the person a couple of weeks ago that would take Pulis over Oscar. That would put a dent in our intelligence quota.
Total madness.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
And yet we still have that mong Mark Bright calling the game on R5.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To narrow this down, Gus is a 'manager', and Oscar 'head coach'. Gus wanted to be involved with everything, from players budgets right down to cleaning the toilets, (well maybe not the latter!). Gus wanted to be involved in, and had an opinion on, everything, whereas one gets the feeling that Oscar is at his happiest with his players on the training ground.

Their footballing philosophies are very similar, and yet how they go about achieving it is very different.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To narrow this down, Gus is a 'manager', and Oscar 'head coach'. Gus wanted to be involved with everything, from players budgets right down to cleaning the toilets, (well maybe not the latter!). Gus wanted to be involved in, and had an opinion on, everything, whereas one gets the feeling that Oscar is at his happiest with his players on the training ground.

Their footballing philosophies are very similar, and yet how they go about achieving it is very different.
You are quite insightful with some of your posts. Do you work for the club?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I've got to say that I really like Oscar's look when asked loaded questions! "You must think I'm stupid if you think I'm going to answer that". Brilliant! When asked questions about injuries though, I get the impression that he answers pretty honestly.

Also liked Nathan's interview last night - thought he was both balanced in his view of the game and reasonably forthcoming.

What you say about Nathan is exactly what struck me and led me to start the thread. And he can also put it across fairly authoritatively.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

an excellent post
nail right on the head

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here