Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I didnt get to the last two games,.... (Barnes related thread)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
.... but I will be at the next five ( Bolton/Ipswich/Sheff W/Forest/Yeovil) ..... I am hearing some promising comment ( not just on NSC) regarding a certain AB, is this a flash in the pan?, the same type of frenetic play we have seen from him after previous breaks in service, injuries or bans,..... OR,... can I at last feel that there is some real improved maturity in his contribution, workrate and approach, if not as yet his goalscoring, that will help me head for these games, the next two at least, minus the feeling that we are doomed without Ulloa on the pitch.?

I am standing by for the usual barrage, but its a genuine question really.

Last edited:

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Barnes has usually done well when played as a striker. The last two games were no different. Sunday, he created chances and was unlucky to score. Last night he had litte to no service but did a good job at holding onto the ball and bringing others into play. He's also showed the ability to create situations out of nothing - a couple of flicks and whatnot showed a some class.

If you go back through the times that he played as the main man under Gus, you will find that he has generally excelled in the role - Blackpool last year?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
can I at last feel that there is some real improvement in his contribution, workrate .

These two factors have never needed improving in my opinion. One minute he's clearing a corner (seriously, the amount of times he is the one heading the ball away is amazing) and the next he's up with any form of counter attack.

I get that you've probably just used these words in general terms, but I really must stick up for him on those two points, especially the work rate.

And now I leave this thread alone as no doubt I'll get wound up by it :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I am assuming you also missed the last 3 seasons where Barnes has been constantly improving ? Well it's still happening

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
.... but I will be at the next five ( Bolton/Ipswich/Sheff W/Forest/Yeovil) ..... I am hearing some promising comment ( not just on NSC) regarding a certain AB, is this a flash in the pan?, the same type of frenetic play we have seen from him after previous breaks in service, injuries or bans,..... OR,... can I at last feel that there is some real improved maturity in his contribution, workrate and approach, if not as yet his goalscoring, that will help me head for these games, the next two at least, minus the feeling that we are doomed without Ulloa on the pitch.?

I am standing by for the usual barrage, but its a genuine question really.

If you've been understanding his tactics the last two years you wouldn't have typed that sentence. He's a special player, if he had a little more pace, a little more direction he'd be mid premiership. It's funny how some have a mental block with some players.
And obviously his goalscoring is fine.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
These two factors have never needed improving in my opinion. One minute he's clearing a corner (seriously, the amount of times he is the one heading the ball away is amazing) and the next he's up with any form of counter attack.

I get that you've probably just used these words in general terms, but I really must stick up for him on those two points, especially the work rate.

This, in a nutshell.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was impressed last night how his frustration is no longer being channelled into self destruction.

There was one point in the second half when the cross was just over his head and he screamed in frustration, last season he would have kicked out/hit out in the next tackle and got himself sent off.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The closest he came to boiling over last night was when that foul was given against him and he slammed the ball on the ground with his fist. Great to see some controlled agression, a great guy and a HUGELY valuable player for the team. Love the bloke.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Couldnt agree more.

Work rate has never been in doubt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here