Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If all the squad was fit, what would be our best team?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In theory Bruno and Spanish Dave in for Calde and KLL/Conway, although fitness and form bring that into question.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
If all fit AND on top form:

Tomaz

Bruno
Greer(C)
Upson
Ward

Bridcutt
Andrews
David Lopez

Buckley
Ulloa
Orlandi / Conway / KLL

This is miles away from our current team :(

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Could it be that Barnes is stalling on a new contract because the way Oscar likes to play will limit his opportunities? He is without doubt a quality player more than capable at playing at this level. However if we are going to play with only one upfront there isn't going to be a starting place for him, Gus played him wide in midfield but as we have three genuine wide players he is unlikely to get in the team there either.

I think that we are good enough to get away with playing two upfront in home games and at weaker teams away from home but will Oscar play this way? I believe Barnes would flourish if allowed to play with Ulloa but how often will this happen?

Barnes is too good to be a bench player and I imagine there are plenty of teams in this division who would love to play him week in week out as a striker.

It's a tough one IMO and unless Oscar can find a regular place for him I can see him moving on in January.

I'm a massive Barnes fan but I struggle to see how he is going to get a regular starting place once we have a fit squad as good as he is. It's a no brainer for Ulloa to be the lone striker, if that is what we are going to be playing with.

I would completely understand if Ashley may be forced into thinking a move would be in his interests.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Could it be that Barnes is stalling on a new contract because the way Oscar likes to play will limit his opportunities? He is without doubt a quality player more than capable at playing at this level. However if we are going to play with only one upfront there isn't going to be a starting place for him, Gus played him wide in midfield but as we have three genuine wide players he is unlikely to get in the team there either.

I think that we are good enough to get away with playing two upfront in home games and at weaker teams away from home but will Oscar play this way? I believe Barnes would flourish if allowed to play with Ulloa but how often will this happen?

All well and good but we all know Ulloa is going to miss 10-12 games ( min ) this season, with injuries and suspensions. Its started already and when he comes back he will be targetted. He will be niggled at and narked and cajoled and thoroughly wound up. He will be buffetted and bashed. He is a big lad but he has a latin temperament and he will react. The constant attention as target man will result in injuries.
Therefore, Barnes and CMS will play a significant part this season. Either replacing the big man or alongside him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

All well and good but we all know Ulloa is going to miss 10-12 games ( min ) this season, with injuries and suspensions. Its started already and when he comes back he will be targetted. He will be niggled at and narked and cajoled and thoroughly wound up. He will be buffetted and bashed. He is a big lad but he has a latin temperament and he will react. The constant attention as target man will result in injuries.
Therefore, Barnes and CMS will play a significant part this season. Either replacing the big man or alongside him.

The question is though with Barnes contract expiring at the end of the season will we risk him not signing a new contract and going on a free if he feels, quite rightly IMO, that he is good enough to be playing week in week out in the Championship? Don't you think he would walk into quite a few teams as game starter? Why would he settle for being a bench player or relying on our first choice being injured or suspended? The club may feel he's too valuable to let him go though I accept, so might wait and see what happens come the end of the season.

I just hope Oscar feels confident enough in home games, at least, to start with two upfront. I would love to see a Barnes and Ulloa partnership.

I'll withhold judgement on CMS until I see if he has lost pace with his injury.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
PIG

Bruno
Upson
Greer
Ward

Andrews
Bridcutt
Orlandi

CMS
KLL
Leo

I'd do a sex wee if that starting XI was ever announced.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
PIG

Bruno
Upson
Greer
Ward

Andrews
Bridcutt
Orlandi

CMS
KLL
Leo

I'd do a sex wee if that starting XI was ever announced.

Mine would be this with Dave in for Andrews and Buckley for KLL allthough I'd be happy with this line up too. When all fit we actually have an embarrassment of riches. If we can keep getting clean sheets over the next few games it will hold us in good stead for the latter half of the season.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Kuzcack

Bruno Greer Upson Ward

Bridcutt Andrews

Buckley Orlandi Barnes

Ulloa

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills