Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When is it cold enough to put the heating on?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
We've had the great central heating debate at work (yes) cause we've dropped into single digit degrees recently and I know when I was growing up it didn't go on until it was pretty much snowing outside. I'm not really a cold person so it didn't bother me too much, and my family are one for having every window open all day and night. I just used to put on an extra jumper etc.

However, some people are saying they've had it on already.

What are your heating habits?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm still massivly money conscious so I refuse to put the heating on until it is unbearable.

It also gives me a great excuse to wear my slippers, warm jumpers and bring the duvet down to the sofa for tv watching.

I reckon November may see me buckle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For me? When ice forms on the inside of the double glazing. Then.

For my g/f? Whenever she can't see the sun.

We live together. Unbounded joy ensues. It has been known for her to follow me around turning the radiator valves open that I have 30 seconds ago closed.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
We've had the great central heating debate at work (yes) cause we've dropped into single digit degrees recently and I know when I was growing up it didn't go on until it was pretty much snowing outside. I'm not really a cold person so it didn't bother me too much, and my family are one for having every window open all day and night. I just used to put on an extra jumper etc.

However, some people are saying they've had it on already.

What are your heating habits?

If i had my way the heating would only go on if someone in the house was suffering from hypothermia. My partner however prefers it if the house is heated to retirement home levels so as a compromise we have already had the heating on for brief periods to " get the damp out" whatever that is supposed to mean.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
An hour each morning from December to February just to help get us out of bed in the morning:wozza:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Chapel coat pegs come to mind

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Won't put it on yet,but I have to admit to lighting the woodburner in the sitting-room last night.
Soon warmed up with that going and a rather large whisky as well.
P.S.Am still swimming in the sea though.Hopefully 'til about mid October.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Not before 1 October is the rule of thumb. Seems a bit stupid to me but if you can face the cold I'd rather wait than give those fleecing gas people my cash.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The Beeb have lately addressed this very thing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24107609

My missus resists as long as she can because of the money, but that ain't very long so it's still on way, way before I'd switch it on. Then, during winter, I have to come home through a treacle-thick wall of heat as soon as I open the door, start sweating immediately, and the two-season-long battle of the thermostat ensues.

At work the heating's gone on today because the temperature on our floor dropped to 19 degrees C. 19! I'm sitting here in a t-shirt and the girls in the office are wearing hats and scarves, and one of them has gloves on.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If i had my way the heating would only go on if someone in the house was suffering from hypothermia. My partner however prefers it if the house is heated to retirement home levels so as a compromise we have already had the heating on for brief periods to " get the damp out" whatever that is supposed to mean.

Same.

When I was growing up I had my window open every day of the year (partly due to having the occasional crafty smoke out of my window and then judging it just right to drop it into my dads ashtray in the garden below) I remember when my sister gave me an alarm clock for Christmas which had a thermometer on it. I rolled over one morning and looked at it and saw the temperature was reading -0.5 degrees on my bedside table (pretty much next to the window) and I was still happy as Larry.

My finace however was wearing a jumper to bed about 2 weeks ago when it got below 12 degrees at night. Yesterday was the first night that she managed to get the heating on for 20 minutes just to 'get it warm to get into bed' I geneuinely have no idea what she was talking about

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
My boss likes his office sauna-like and you always leave his office with a headache feeling like you are going to pass out while he sits there sweating away. Another boss likes things tundra-style and you end up leaving numb and blue. The communal office space depends on who's been in there and the thermostat can be anything from 26degrees to 0. It's pot luck and from one hour to the next the variation can be so much you feel like you've got a flu like temperature.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My missus resists as long as she can because of the money, but that ain't very long so it's still on way, way before I'd switch it on. Then, during winter, I have to come home through a treacle-thick wall of heat as soon as I open the door, start sweating immediately, and the two-season-long battle of the thermostat ensues.

This sounds like my missus---my office at home is like a Chinese laundry during the winter:eek:
I am about to sneak downstairs and turn the thermostat down to almost off--with luck she won't notice for a couple of hours:whistle:-----then it will all start again:rolleyes:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Doesn't matter what the date is - if it's cold enough I'll put my heating on. Started putting it on in the evening last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here