Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swype

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Off the back of seeing THIS post in that monster iPhone thread...

Try a third party keyboard such as Swype or Swiftkey. They are very good. I have been using Swype for over three years now and find it very very fast and pretty accurate. It always makes me smile when I see people toiling away in the old fashioned way with two fingers or one key at a time strokes. It works very well on my two tablets as well.

...I took the plunge and invested £0.65p of my hard-earned to install Swype on my HTC One and try it out. Never heard of it before, and I didn't even know "swiping" existed, but now...WHOA. I'm never going back to the archaic 16th century predictive text-tappy-tapping keystrokes NONCE-sense. This thing is so cuffing SLICK and INTUITIVE its practically written out all my texts and emails before I've even thought of typing them out.

@Green Cross Code Man - good work fella. This has REVOLUTIONISED how I type on my phone. Yes its been around for years, yes most of you have probably been using it since you were texting each other about FIFA 2 or Jet Set Willy. But this was news to me. I reckon I'll save at LEAST 158 seconds a day on my typing as a direct result. Tot that up over a year, average it out, and divide it by the calories burned writing a 60 word text 9 times over the course of an average morning, and the benefits could not be more obvious.

If you've not got it, get it. Today.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Swype is bloody good , free on Sumsung's I think

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's a good idea but being someone who was probably the perfect ageing when the texting BOOM came about, I find that I still type MUCH quicker when texting than swyping. It's a finger memory innit. Your left thumb knows which keys are in it's remit as does the right thumb. swyping would actually be slower for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's a good idea but being someone who was probably the perfect ageing when the texting BOOM came about, I find that I still type MUCH quicker when texting than swyping. It's a finger memory innit. Your left thumb knows which keys are in it's remit as does the right thumb. swyping would actually be slower for me.

Having been texing pretty much the same way since the days of the old Motorola with the plastic cast aerial which dug in your b0ll0cks, I thought I'd be the same. And for the first 5 minutes, I wasn't convinced about swiping either. But then it just clicked, and before I knew it, I was simply EXCRETING words, big long clever ones too sometimes, with syllabels and EVERYTHING. Very quick and easy.

I'll say here as well, I am a very ANAL texter. I never resort to abbreviated textspeak, and I always use punctuation. This thing just chucks it all in, it seems to know just how to do it. I don't even have to press the spacebar for christs sake.

I'm not normally one for a techy thread, but when something really impresses me, well, I feel I need to share with the class.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Off the back of seeing THIS post in that monster iPhone thread...

...I took the plunge and invested £0.65p of my hard-earned to install Swype on my HTC One and try it out. Never heard of it before, and I didn't even know "swiping" existed, but now...WHOA. I'm never going back to the archaic 16th century predictive text-tappy-tapping keystrokes NONCE-sense. This thing is so cuffing SLICK and INTUITIVE its practically written out all my texts and emails before I've even thought of typing them out.

@Green Cross Code Man - good work fella. This has REVOLUTIONISED how I type on my phone. Yes its been around for years, yes most of you have probably been using it since you were texting each other about FIFA 2 or Jet Set Willy. But this was news to me. I reckon I'll save at LEAST 158 seconds a day on my typing as a direct result. Tot that up over a year, average it out, and divide it by the calories burned writing a 60 word text 9 times over the course of an average morning, and the benefits could not be more obvious.

If you've not got it, get it. Today.

It is good isn't it? :)

Glad to have been of help mate!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Been using Swype for a couple of years now, it's the DOG'S.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Been using Swype for a couple of years now, it's the DOG'S.

I've got it on my Samsung S2. Very helpful - the only problem I have is it sometimes freezes... and freezes the whole phone.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The 'sliding continuous input' feature has always lurked in the background of my Samsung Galaxy S4, but I have never enabled it. I have just done so, having read this thread. It is bloody amazing - I don't know why I never did this before.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Warning for new users: It does make texting while walking in the rain pretty impossible

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Warning for new users: It does make texting while walking in the rain pretty impossible

True dat. I can barely even unlock my phone when there's rain on the screen.
Having said that though, I can still tap out the texts in the "old" way if I want, without changing anything, even though the Swype mode is activated.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does anyone else get sporadic swype freezes?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I use Swiftkey, which is pretty much the same thing. The speed at which it learns what you say is brilliant. More often than not I don't even have to type/swype.. I just hit one of the three words it guesses for me one after the other to compose an entire work of textual art.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Actually this functionality has been built into Android since the most recent update. You just need to switch it on.

The only real difference between Swype and the Android version is that Swype lets you squiggle on a letter to tell it you want that letter twice whereas the Android version just has to guess whether you want to double up on letters where appropriate.

I've been using this text input method for a couple of years now and absolutely love it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The only real difference between Swype and the Android version is that Swype lets you squiggle on a letter to tell it you want that letter twice whereas the Android version just has to guess whether you want to double up on letters where appropriate.

Swype contains a feature that allows one to back up a personal dictionary and sync across multiple devices. I don't think that the stock keyboard can do that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here