Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion won't panic in search for loan striker [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Albion won't panic in search for loan striker[/h]8:30am Wednesday 18th September 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2620360.jpg
Ashley Barnes is Albion's only available senior striker
Nathan Jones insists Albion will not be panicked into signing a striker on loan.
Ashley Barnes is the only senior orthodox forward available to head coach Oscar Garcia for tonight’s trip to QPR due to injuries and a three-match suspension for Leo Ulloa as a result of his red card at Reading on Sunday.
The Seagulls are still keen to sign a replacement for long-term absentee Craig Mackail-Smith but their interest in Tottenham’s Jonathan Obika remains on hold while he recovers from a recurrence of ankle trouble.
Oscar’s assistant Jones, who worked with Obika at Yeovil, told The Argus: “We are looking to add a little bit of difference to the squad. Jon does fit that bill. There is nothing concrete with anyone but it’s that type of player that we haven’t got at the moment with Craig being out.
“In the short-term we may look to bring that in. We have to get the right one in, ready to come in and make an impact, otherwise it is just a signing for a signing.
“We have players that are fit and ready to go and young players as well like Solly March and George Barker, rather than bringing a half-fit player, so it has to be someone that improves us and at the moment we’re not quite there but we are going to keep looking. We won’t panic.”
It is unclear how long Obika, 23, will be sidelined from action.
Jones added: “I don’t really want to speak about someone else’s player. Jon’s someone I have worked with before and it would add a difference to our squad, but he is a Tottenham player. Nothing has been done with Tottenham yet, he is not ready to play, so I don’t really want to elaborate on that.”
Barnes, a second-half sub at Reading, makes his first start for over five weeks tonight as Albion try to upset Harry Redknapp’s high-riding Rangers.
Jones said: “Any side in the Championship would miss Leo. He is one of the best about, but Ashley comes in so we are looking for a big performance, because we believe in him. He is in the mould that Leo is, so he is the one that fits that bill.”
Redknapp helped Jones when he was assistant manager to Terry Skiverton at Yeovil by lending Obika to them. Jones said: “I am a Tottenham fan and I loved having him there. He has gone to QPR, but he is a good manager. It will be good to see him and he has actually helped me in my career. He did us a favour once, lent us Jon Obika and Andros Townsend really early.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here