Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free School Meals for 5-7 years old - A brave move or just another bribe? [Merged Thread]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have been saying this for years but at long last Nick Clegg has said that his party are going to give a free hot meal everyday to all primary school children. The cost wll be £600m but I think that this should be partly deducted from child benefit paid and ensures that every child has a hot meal rather than the money be spent down the pub or in the bookies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bugger I thought you'd sorted your Microsoft problem :smile:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Clegg won't be in a position to do anything about this soon, so just more from the Windbag Party.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have been saying this for years but at long last Nick Clegg has said that his party are going to give a free hot meal everyday to all primary school children. The cost wll be £600m but I think that this should be partly deducted from child benefit paid and ensures that every child has a hot meal rather than the money be spent down the pub or in the bookies.

No such thing as a free lunch...... Only two ways to pay for any government expenditure: taxes up or other benefits down. To be fair, you say that you're happy enough for child benefit to be reduced to pay for it. Turkey twizzlers all round then!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Re: At last

No such thing as a free lunch...... Only two ways to pay for any government expenditure: taxes up or other benefits down. To be fair, you say that you're happy enough for child benefit to be reduced to pay for it. Turkey twizzlers all round then!

If you can get some halfway decent food down them it is a big step in the right direction. The cost would be subsidised by the reduction in future unemployment benefits, the future reduction in policing costs, the future reductions in NHS spending on dietary illnesses and by the increase in future income tax.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

So if it's deducted from child benefit it won't be free will it?
Not all parents on low income spend their time sobering up in Bet Fred.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thinking of having more kids then BG?

Fair play to you for having lead in the pencil at your age. :bowdown:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
This just won't happen. The Government want all schools to become academies. Academies unlike state schools do not have to follow any nutritional guidelines regarding what is served up to the kids. Clegg needs to look at his own rule book before making false promises.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Primary school kids aren't allowed to spend money down the pub or in the bookies shirley?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Primary school kids aren't allowed to spend money down the pub or in the bookies shirley?

Even when I was a child the family allowance enabled my dad to play darts on a Tuesday night as he was paid every Thursday night/Friday morning but I must admit it didnt stop me being fed good wholesome food. Times however have changed and I dont think there is as much put onto children of saying you must eat greens and other vegetables. Obviously it is an individual thing in each family but as an overall view I think that is correct and has been duly emphasized by Jamie Oliver.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Even when I was a child the family allowance enabled my dad to play darts on a Tuesday night as he was paid every Thursday night/Friday morning but I must admit it didnt stop me being fed good wholesome food. Times however have changed and I dont think there is as much put onto children of saying you must eat greens and other vegetables. Obviously it is an individual thing in each family but as an overall view I think that is correct and has been duly emphasized by Jamie Oliver.

I've no doubt you're right about vast amounts of family allowance ending up down the gobs/lungs of pig parents. Easiest thing in the world would be to issue family allowance in the form of vouchers that can be spent on anything other than booze and fags. Now THAT would be the killer vote winner. Apart from the pig parents who are definitely maybe statistically the least likely to vote in any case. Furk 'em.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Firstly its infants not all primary.
Secondly that ballsack Gove recently said that all schoolkids will have school dinners, this is the start of it and will be paid for from benefits that the poor need and the rich can afford.
This is a tory policy, hidden under a coalition diguise and just announced by Clegg which on the face of it is good, but in reality will be deducted from the money that the less well off need.
But crap packed lunches should be banned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here