Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton being dragged into the Tottenham argument.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Has anyone seen the reference to Brighton in this Independent article?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/tottenham-fans-why-get-rid-of-yid-8820085.html

I have never heard Brighton fans sing what he attributes to us. Responses I have heard like 'You're too ugly to be gay' have always struck me as rising above the ignorant assumption that calling anyone gay should be taken as an insult. This would seem to come from a very different place than what this bloke is suggesting is sung. Is this just lazy journalism or has anyone heard the song to which he is referring?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
'You're just as town full of ******s' has been sung at us but we've never sung 'we're just a town full of ******s' to the best of my knowledge.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think he is quoting a hypothetical example to illustrate his point

If that was his intent it has been worded or edited badly. Hypothetical intent could have been easily indicated by writing "anymore than would Brighton fans singing...would reclaim" rather than "anymore than Brighton fans singing... reclaims."

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
He can't spell 'cited' either.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poor article. Apart from making up a quote and then shoehorning into his half-baked analogy he singularly fails to understand the psyche of the football fan.

The fact is "Yiddo" and "Yid Army" are easy words to shout, they've been reclaimed, they're now officially banned by the FA so what's not to like if your a Spurs fan? I personally think it is time to move on because whereas 25-30 years Spurs were identifiably Jewish (Scholar, Sugar, David Pleat) - and the likes of Chelsea the complete opposite (Bobby Isaac slashed hours before his Chelsea debut) - the lines are now blurred.

Abramovich, Avram Grant and Tal Ben Haim at Chelsea, Avram Grant at West Ham, Yossi Benayoun and Eyal Berkovic at West Ham, David Dein and Danny Fiszman at Arsenal. Daniel Levy apart Spurs have been in the minority re the Jewish influence in London football in recent years.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
When have we EVER chanted 'we're just a town full of ******s'?

Shit article.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Indeed he is.

Then, as previously pointed out, he should replace "reclaims" with "would reclaim". The current wording is a statement of fact, not the positing of a hypothetical.

I am (perhaps ridiculously) fuming about the slur in the piece. I have been an occasional Indy reader in the past; I doubt I will buy it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here