Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's our new striker then?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Are we serious about challenging at the top end of the table again? Are we really going to go into the next 3 games with one fit first-team-ready striker? What if Barnes gets injured or sent off?

Very poor management IMHO; we've known CMS and Hoskins are long-term absentees for many months, and Ash was injured several weeks ago.

The club's management need to get a move on IMHO.

Do you agree?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Are we serious about challenging at the top end of the table again? Are we really going to go into the next 3 games with one fit first-team-ready striker? What if Barnes gets injured or sent off?

Very poor management IMHO; we've known CMS and Hoskins are long-term absentees for many months, and Ash was injured several weeks ago.

Do you agree?

I don't agree.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's hope Ashley doesn't see the red mist in the next 2 games.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Do you agree?

We aren't desperate yet, and Barnes would be ahead of many strikers who would come here on loan. If the worst happened and Barnes or Ulloa got injured, the club would get someone in as quick as they found a replacement for Orlandi, and by the way Conway can also play as a striker.

For all intent and purposes as long as Ulloa and Barnes are fit, we are looking very good as we are and there is no point in bringing in a loan unless they are very good.

We don't need a Vokes or Paynter here.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I don't think we should give in to outrageous demands from players/agents who try to get 10-20k per week when they would probably just be a panic buy, look at how Dobbie turned out. Does anyone know what he was on? With FFP coming round the corner, there is no need IMO, Ashley Barnes is a good player who hopefully will do a job for us, whilst Ulloa is suspended. People say he played well at reading, so let him have his chance over the next few games.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
who do you suggest...?

Anyone who isn't injured and has graced the Championship (or above) effectively. We need someone who can hit the ground running, so a Spanish-based or similar player may not be right at this time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Anyone who isn't injured and has graced the Championship (or above) effectively. We need someone who can hit the ground running, so a Spanish-based or similar player may not be right at this time.

Pretty certain these loans can't be from overseas teams anyway.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
As the club have said, and as has been said above, we don't want to end up with another Vokes or Paynter. No point bringing someone in if they're not good enough to do a job.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We aren't desperate yet, and Barnes would be ahead of many strikers who would come here on loan. If the worst happened and Barnes or Ulloa got injured, the club would get someone in as quick as they found a replacement for Orlandi, and by the way Conway can also play as a striker.

For all intent and purposes as long as Ulloa and Barnes are fit, we are looking very good as we are and there is no point in bringing in a loan unless they are very good.

We don't need a Vokes or Paynter here.

I agree re Paynter, not so sure about Vokes nowadays, although he wouldn't be my choice. The point is, if Barnes gets injured or suspended we have nobody who can play the lone striker role well, and that includes Conway.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think we should give in to outrageous demands from players/agents who try to get 10-20k per week when they would probably just be a panic buy, look at how Dobbie turned out. Does anyone know what he was on? With FFP coming round the corner, there is no need IMO, Ashley Barnes is a good player who hopefully will do a job for us, whilst Ulloa is suspended. People say he played well at reading, so let him have his chance over the next few games.

He certainly did play well at Reading, and should have come straight on after Ulloa saw red. This is NOT a Barnes-bashing thread, just pointing out that the club has not managed the injured/suspended strikers (multiple) situation at all well (IMHO).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I agree it would be nice to have back up, but I don't think we will get that much better in to the club in this loan window. I think we will use it as a last resort and right now we are on plan B with Barnes upfront.

As long as Barker isnt our option on the bench I think we will be fine, Dickenson can do a job in the last 10 if we need to bring Barnes off. we also have Ward and Conway who can apparently play up top and Oscar has tried fitting in Buckley there too.

I guess we also have the option of not playing an out and out forward and playing 6 midfielders.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree it would be nice to have back up, but I don't think we will get that much better in to the club in this loan window. I think we will use it as a last resort and right now we are on plan B with Barnes upfront.

As long as Barker isnt our option on the bench I think we will be fine, Dickenson can do a job in the last 10 if we need to bring Barnes off. we also have Ward and Conway who can apparently play up top and Oscar has tried fitting in Buckley there too.

I guess we also have the option of not playing an out and out forward and playing 6 midfielders.

We're not Barca!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I agree re Paynter, not so sure about Vokes nowadays, although he wouldn't be my choice. The point is, if Barnes gets injured or suspended we have nobody who can play the lone striker role well, and that includes Conway.

Yeah but I also said that if it was urgent, we would fast track an appointment, which would happen IF Ulloa or Barnes picks up a serious injury.

I don't think anyone knows how Conway would fit in the lone striker role, but if he had to play there we would adapt our play to his strengths, which is his speed.

Oscar may well be content with this as an option for a few games IF Ulloa or Barnes have any problems.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Suggest you say why you don't, or your post is kinda meaningless IMHO.

I suggest you re-word your opening post then. You asked a yes or no question, and got a yes or no answer.

I don't agree either, as it happens. We've been unlucky with injuries and then Ulloa getting sent off. They are not reasons to just go and splash the cash on a striker that might not even make the bench in a few weeks.

Barnes is back now, so hopefully he'll plug the gap, and if anything happens to him, you can bet that the management have a plan for that scenario.

Well done for not mentioning the 'G' word in your post, by the way...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here