Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Egan - where to start?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As an avid reader of Neal Stephenson and William Gibson, I'm being recommended to try Greg Egan, but where to start on such a large body of work!? Any suggestions?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really, I thought NSC was the fountain of all knowledge?

I'm going to give this one more chance down the front page, then be gone....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I had been hoping that others would contribute, thus enabling me to continue to hide my true geek nature. Since they haven't, and not being able to leave a fellow NSCer in the lurch...

Oceanic, ISBN 978-0-575-08652-4 is where I would start. Egan is renowned more for his short stories than his novels and this collection contains 3 of his top 5, imo.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I had been hoping that others would contribute, thus enabling me to continue to hide my true geek nature. Since they haven't, and not being able to leave a fellow NSCer in the lurch...

Oceanic, ISBN 978-0-575-08652-4 is where I would start. Egan is renowned more for his short stories than his novels and this collection contains 3 of his top 5, imo.

Ordered from Amazon via NSC. Thanks for the tip.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Got round to reading pretty much all the short stories in this collection now - got to say great recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. A nice balance between imaginative fiction and scientific and mathematical theories. I'm hooked in.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
If you like Greg Egan then you should try Greg Bear. Eon or The Forge of God would be good places to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here