Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flexibility - Lack Of

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
It seems the Striker issue reflects a lack of flexibility in many things at the Club and it seems to be getting worse. It's clear we intend to comply with both the spirit and letter of FFP, its also clear we can invest in revenue producing items: electric ad hoardings, it's also clear that every £ will be "mined" from fans from food to now using the club database to cross sell a range of products from "partners" (did they ask our permission to do this - data protection etc?).

Now with Burke at helm of player acquisition and Oscar G still coming to terms with the league why on earth are we seemingly locked into one option as a striker loan? Jon Obika.

This was the position before the Ulloa red card with 3 strikers unavailable, thank goodness Barnes played a blinder when he came on!

So come on Albion loosen up a bit lets be a bit more imaginative on player acquisition, lets show a bit more flexibility.

Semi rant over and apologies to all.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Sorry forgot to say - we seem to be waiting for Obika to get over his injury rather than finding the player we need now!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It seems the Striker issue reflects a lack of flexibility in many things at the Club and it seems to be getting worse. It's clear we intend to comply with both the spirit and letter of FFP, its also clear we can invest in revenue producing items: electric ad hoardings, it's also clear that every £ will be "mined" from fans from food to now using the club database to cross sell a range of products from "partners" (did they ask our permission to do this - data protection etc?).

Now with Burke at helm of player acquisition and Oscar G still coming to terms with the league why on earth are we seemingly locked into one option as a striker loan? Jon Obika.

This was the position before the Ulloa red card with 3 strikers unavailable, thank goodness Barnes played a blinder when he came on!

So come on Albion loosen up a bit lets be a bit more imaginative on player acquisition, lets show a bit more flexibility.

Yeah absolutely. I want to sign a whole raft of players. Lets take a percentage approach to our transfer policy and see whether we land any that work out.

According to Palace fans they have had a really succesfull transfer window so it clearly works. We should ditch the research and planned resourcing policy as it clearly doesn't work. Andrews, Ward, Agustein clearly not suited and not working out......

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Is that the basis of your rant? That you believe the club is only after one target?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The last 3 months have made it very clear that we don't have a scooby who the Albion have on their radar and who they might sign next. I have been more than happy with every surprise that they have sprung so far, so see no reason to worry about who they may or may not bring in. Orlandi was covered within a couple of days of getting injured so I have total confidence that we will get a striker, should we need one, and imo we don't actually need one desperately at the moment. Admittedly we appear to be sailing close to the wind on this one though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry forgot to say - we seem to be waiting for Obika to get over his injury rather than finding the player we need now!
TBH, I think the fact we haven't signed a striker yet has more to do with optimising the number of available games in a 93 day loan period than anything else.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
now using the club database to cross sell a range of products from "partners" (did they ask our permission to do this - data protection etc?).

The emails are coming from the club, but talking about the partners so they don't need our permission and are fine from a data protection perspective.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

You probably missed it (I posted on here somewhere last week) that I had heard from an impeccable source that the club had moved on from targetting Obika, and now were looking at someone 'much better'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Listening to Radio Berkshire coming home 90% of the talk was all about how they NEED a striker.

Everybody needs a striker, why wouldn't you.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You probably missed it (I posted on here somewhere last week) that I had heard from an impeccable source that the club had moved on from targetting Obika, and now were looking at someone 'much better'.

I hope he's better than your last impeccable source.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Seems to me this loan striker business really just depends on what you think of Barnes and to a lesser extent cos of the injury CMS. Barnes is the cover for Ulloa. Personally I'm not sure we can get anyone better and I'm not unhappy with him up front.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I suspect that something nearer to the truth is that we will not sign just anyone, as they need to play our way, and good quality players like that are either not available (as they have been snapped up by top clubs) or their wages are extortionate. Ulloa was an absolute steal, for example.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
TBH, I think the fact we haven't signed a striker yet has more to do with optimising the number of available games in a 93 day loan period than anything else.

Indeed. Signing someone on 1st October would mean that (assuming they fit into the side as projected following Burke's research) we can keep them through to 1st January (v Bournemouth) when we can either extend the loan to the end of the season or do a permanent deal

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Our striking options have nothing to do with the availability of strikers. What we need to do, is get that lazy lot in midfield further up the pitch then just hoof it from defence in to the opposition box. Eventually something a drop for them.
Also, tracking cookies have nothing to do with the Albion

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Any news on how this is progressing ?

Barnes must be pretty tired after his efforts at QPR, so perhaps we shouldn't expect too much from him against Bolton ???

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

It always amazes me how black and white some people view things like this, we haven't signed a striker on loan so it must be our (or more specifically, in this case, Burke's) fault.

It's so easy to ignore a lot of other key factors, are there strikers available to loan that are good enough for us being a major one!

Just because we haven't signed someone yet doesn't mean the reason is financial or due to ffp which is being used as a stick to beat the club with by some now.

Have you thought that our targets may not want to come and join us but rather stay at their current club and compete for a starting place. Or that demand for decent strikers far outstrips supply and there just arn't that many options about to try to sign during the last transfer window or since the loan window opened and that those players may be taking their time to ensure they get the best deal or club they can get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here